Chapter 12

Iris' POV:

Today was the day of the funeral. Well, I said I didn't want a funeral. We were just visiting her grave so it wasn't a whole ceremony. I didn't want that. Rose, her mom, and I were the only ones going. My dad was stuck in jail after getting caught and I made sure he wouldn't be able to come.

I asked the doctors why I had survived even with a bottle on my arm while my mom didn't have any injuries and died. They said she was already unwell with all the drugs and alcohol she was having and the car crash was the final straw. It still didn't make sense, but I couldn't argue. There was no other explanation...

We somberly walked to her grave with flowers and wearing long, black, flowing dresses. I quickly placed the flowers on the well-kept grass, then stared deeply at the engravings of her name and life:

Sunny Smittson - 2.9.1975 - 6.9.2020

Beloved Mother, Wife, and Daughter.

Died at the age of 45.

Rest in Peace.

She wasn't beloved or a "mother". She was a monster that died 9 years ago. My heart felt cold and I felt none of the pain I had felt weeks before. I was just shocked that someone I knew had died. That was it. Died saving me or not, it wouldn't forgive all the actions she had done to me. How she ruined my life.

I turned away and heard my feet step on the pebbles and rocks sprinkled on the ground. But before leaving the area, I turned back one more time. No, I did feel pain. There was a reason why I acted that way the week before. It was because of love. She loved me.

I pressed down the crumbly dough into a circle and proudly pressed the Christmas Tree cutout into the circle. "Look, it's my third one!" I said to my mom. She smiled. "Good job. You're learning so fast!" I giggled. "Merry Christmas, Iris." she said before pounding the dough.

"I love you."

I turned back to the pathway and could hear the giggles of Christmas Eve that day. I love you too...