eighteen

friday, 8:46 a.m. classes started at nine except that was the least of my worries. louis partridge picking me up at six this afternoon. the phrase sounded so rich yet surreal.

i haven't told anyone about it, not even amélie. people who hate me would try to befriend me some way or another, they already were with louis interacting with me on social media.

8:52 a.m. and i've yet to pick out something to wear. i needed to dress casual. the last thing i needed was to raise suspicion upon me. music helped me think. grabbing my phone from its charger i press play on the song that was left on my lockscreen from the night before; c'est le temps de l'amour, le temps des copains, et de l'aventure. quand le temps va et vient, on ne pense á rien malgré ses blessures.

i decided on a navy hoodie i was gifted two years ago when i played volleyball, grey sweatpants, and black platform converse. 8:59 a.m. i slung my backpack onto one arm and ran out of the door into my moms car knowing i would be late.

the day went by the slowest i've ever been through. class by class dragged on sluggishly and i spoke maybe four sentences through out the entire day. if i talked any more i would accidentally tell someone about what i'd be doing after school.

"are you good? why're you so quiet today." amélie looked at me with half concern half confusion. i should probably tell her, right? people are going to find out soon enough so might as well.

"yeah it's nothing. just that louis is picking me up at six today. we're just meeting each other that's all." i say with a sarcastic tone. she looked at me with the widest eyes i've seen in my entire time of living. her jaw was practically unhinged to the laminate floor.

"WHY WOULDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS." amélie plastered a giant smile on her face that resulted in a laugh. the hallways were emptying quickly at this point so not too many people reacted. i told her about how people who clearly don't like me would try to become friends with me. "that makes sense. soooo— what are you wearing?" i was hoping she would help me out with this if i ever got to telling her in the first place.

"that's what i wanted your help with. come over to my house?" she looked at me with an affirmative look and we walked out the doors of hell together.

"are you going for more of a causal or formal look? i only ever see you wear skirts and pants, maybe a dress? or is a dress too formal? juliet, why would you tell me now it's 3:37 we only have around two and a half hours." i look at her with a smug face.

"that's plenty of time, what do you mean?" i wasn't as á la mode as amélie. she lectured me on the fact that i should've done my makeup this morning. "i thought it would get ruined! plus, i woke up at like 8:20 today." i knew that was my fault but i wasn't going to admit it.

thirty more minutes had passed and we both decided on a creme coloured slip dress with a lace outlining near the collar-bone, oversized black zip up hoodie on top, paired with black high top converse to tone it down. 4:09 p.m. there was still plenty of time to finish my ablutions and makeup.

tous les garçons et les filles by françoise hardy played softly and filled the room with peace while i was taking an eyeliner pencil to my bottom and top lash lines. eyebrows, lashes, eyeliner, and blush; set.

4:46 p.m. exactly an hour and fifty-four minutes until what i can only hope will be the best night of my life. louis partridge. it sounds so weird emerging from my lips when i personally know him. almost comforting.

——

5:53 p.m. seven minutes. seven minutes. what if this was all a joke or some kind of social experiment? what if i died and this is just heaven? how am i supposed to know? what if this was a dream?-

my thoughts were interrupted by amélie, who has been downstairs in the kitchen treating herself for the past forty or so minutes. "he's going to be here any moment, juliet. this is so surreal, and i'm not even the one going on a date with louis. you are one lucky girl you know that right? thanks to me, of course." i look at her with a genuine smile. she was right. if it hadn't been for amélie and her idea to prank text a random number, i would never be in this situation.

just then, the loud sound of a doorbell emerged indicating that someone was at the door. someone was at the door. i check my phone to see if louis had texted me. nothing. "come downstairs with me. you never know if someone's a mass murderer or not." i motion over to amélie.

my heart started to palpitate the closer we traveled down the staircase. if it really was him, there he would be, in the flesh, as real as ever. without hesitation, amélie next to me, i unlock and open the door like a bandage that's been on for too long.

a tall boy my age, fluffy dark brown hair, eyes the same colour, white button down with the top two undone, silver chain, and dark jeans that were cuffed at the bottom stood before me. it took about three seconds for me to fully comprehend who it really was, and when i did, my eyes went wide and i physically could not get words to come out of my mouth. louis sensed that and spoke up before i did.

"you know, you really shouldn't meet up with strangers you meet on the internet," clearly out of sarcasm. "who's you're friend next to you? maybe they can talk for you, yeah?" with that, amélie answered, obviously excited that louis partridge was right in front of her.

"hi! hi i'm amélie, juliet's friend. almost 100% sure she's ever gone on a date with someone famous so she's kind of different right now. give her some time and she'll be back to normal soon." louis gave her an affirmative smile and took my hand into his. they moulded together so perfectly and what was just now a stiff body, had melted into more myself.

as we neared his car, i finally spoke up. "i don't know what came across me. i never act like that around anyone." i wasn't lying. i don't usually freeze up around people.

"it's only me, juliet. don't worry." that was all the validation i needed. like the gentleman i've always pictured him to be, he opens the car door for me, almost in a joking way. my "thank you" was giddy, hopefully showing i wasn't going to be awkward anymore.

louis gets in the drivers seat and turns on the engine. "i hope you like listening to music." and before i could reply, lyrics and notes filled the empty space that was there previously; c'est le temps de l'amour, le temps des copains, et de l'aventure. quand le temps va et vient, on ne pense á rien malgré ses blessures.

"hey, i love this song." it was the song i was listening to this morning. louis looks at me, locking eyes with a smile, then putting his hand on the back of the head rest of my seat, the other on the wheel to reverse and start on the roads.

a.n. - ahh i finally updated lmfoajdnd- i'm so sorry for not updating more but i will actually try to get these updates in faster.
i also want to mention that the fic is not finished unless i mention it in the an at the end.
thank you so much for 6k reads!! that's crazy. i love u all <333 -t