twenty one

cw: marijuana use

louis neared a instantaneously impressive rental home. i'm guessing their manager took care of the price but wow— white stone exterior with medium stained wood surrounding the windows. the door was almost industrial and a balcony stood over it.

we start at the steps to ring the doorbell. a few seconds pass when a curly haired boy that was, ball parking, around half a foot taller than me swings the entrance open.

"hey louis, hey—" he was waiting for me to introduce myself. finn wolfhard was waiting for me to introduce myself. god i need to learn how to stop being so shocked all the time. yeah but it's finn wolfhard. 

i realize i've just been standing there with a blank expression for a moment too long. "oh, sorry uh, my name's juliet dupont. it's so nice to meet you." i notice caleb coming from around the corner.

finn responds. "yeah it's nice to meet you too, but do me a favour and pretend we're regular people— because we are." it seemed lighthearted, but finn has always seemed kind of intimidating to me.

"did you know," a different voice joins the conversation, "that louis will not stop talking about you to us?" i could see louis' eyes go wide and his lips going thin from embarrassment using my peripheral vision. "it get's annoying sometimes, how obsessed he is." him? obsessed with me? funny.

finn's laugh fills the void that would otherwise be an uncomfortable silence at the boy who happened to be caleb mclaughlin's comment. "alright follow me." finn led all four of us to the basement. "uh louis, millie says she's coming in like an hour, dupont, you can call a friend if you want." a friend? good god amélie will freak out.

the basement was completely furnished. there was a huge couch that stood in the middle of the room, a movie screen projector sitting in front. there were an abundance of bean bags and ottomans ensuring everyone be comfortable. blankets scattered the furniture and the place seemed suspiciously clean noting two teenage boys were staying there.

i whipped out my phone to tell amélie the news of her life.

guess what. i'm with caleb mclaughlin and finn wolfhard— and they said i could bring a friend. come to 8192 stoneking ave.

you're joking right. oh my god. OH MY FUCKING GOD. ILL BE THERE IN TEN. HELP.

caleb turned on music; the garden to be exact. i saw him settle on the right side of the couch, finn on the left of him. louis sat farther left, resting his arm on the edge. instead of standing there like a fucking loser i go sit close next to louis, almost too close. he notices and casually snakes his right arm around my shoulder.

IM AT THE DOOR JULIET OH MY GOD IM AT THE DOOR IS THIS THE HOUSE WHAT IF ITS NOT THE RIGHT HOUSE AND I WALK INTO-

you'll be fine just ring the doorbell

OKAY OKAY THREE
TWO
WHY ARENT YOU OPENING THE DOOR YET
ONE

and so the doorbell rang. i waited a moment expecting someone to get it. "well is anyone going to get that?" caleb's voice sounded from the side of the room. i knew, we all knew he was being playful but he's just so intimidating. same with finn, i genuinely don't understand how people can be fully and surely comfortable around the two of them together.

"oh— yeah sorry about that, my friend's here." i tried to laugh my way out of this incredibly awkward situation. for me at least.

finn almost immediately answers. "why would you invite someone over without telling me first? you don't just do that, you know."

if anyone could see the panic in my eyes, they would start panicking with me. "uh, sorry i just that you told me i could bring a friend?-"

"only joking, dupont. stop worrying so much. loosen up a little." see? intimidating.

WHERE ARE YOU

sorry, got caught in something
im coming

GOOD

i move my arm away from louis' to get up, when he grabs it, halting me to a stop. "where are you going?"

"amélie's at the door. she's been waiting for five minutes." louis looks at me with a confused face that was almost adorable and let go of my arm. i heard all three of them start some sort of conversation on... movies? i couldn't care less.

i run up the basement stairs, skipping one each time. just as amélie's about to knock on the door for the third time, i open it before her. "oh it's about time, j," her voice started to raise an octave higher. "so, where are they? hey, do i look good? what do i smell like? i hope it's something like gucci memoire since it was a chore to steal it from my brother."

"you're fine, amèlie. now calm down, just a little." i noticed her slight smirk.

"oh i'm calm, juliet. reealll calm." at this point, i was started to get just the tiniest bit concerned. excited, yes, but mainly concerned.

"don't tell me—"

"yup." amélie pulls out a minuscule plastic bag filled with stuff that looks like dehydrated compacted grass. "do you think they smoke?"

i was supposed to know that how. "i don't know, but i love you. now will you come downstairs. that's where they are, anyways." my best friend responds by walking in direction of the door.

amélie was incredibly pretty, you could tell that other people thought that too by the way finn and caleb's eyes lit up subtly. finn was drinking water and a little shot out. embarrassing.

"hi, um i'm finn wolfhard." he got up from his seat and slid her direction. how could someone so famous be so awkward in times like these.

thank god she smoked before coming or she'd be jumping off the walls. "i know who you are, finn. i'm amélie, nice to meet you." she leans in closer to whisper something. "do you by any chance sm-"

i pulled her away before she could finish that sentence. caleb stayed in his respective spot on the couch and gestured a "hey" towards her. louis motions his head and greets her, nothing unusual.

a few moments passed after amélie's initial introduction. she had wiggled herself as close to finn and caleb as possible, attempting not to make it obvious. it kind of was. everything was off to a great start. it was comfortable in louis' one arm and i just stayed there until i saw pull something out of her back pocket. there was the tiny plastic bag filled with marijuana. she looked at caleb as they made eye contact.

weed. the thought of being high with the kids we watched on tv seemed off putting to me, but it wasn't something i would deny, of course.

i look over and see amélie and the two almost silently laughing as she rolls a joint and lights it. she hands it to caleb and finn, the area around them fogging in the slightest.

amélie hands me a joint and i hit it, coughing in between. i've only done this once at a party two months ago to impress some guy i liked. not a good idea.

i motion over to louis. he shakes his head. "not for me." i nod in acceptance and try to get up again before i feel pressure bringing me down. "do you need something, juliet?"

"uh, yeah i was just about to get a glass of water." he doesn't release his arm off of mine like i anticipated.

"oh i can get that for you."

"really? that's so sweet of yo-

"say please."

"what?"

"i said say please."

i was heavily confused at this point. "oh, um. please?" he finally released this grip.

"good girl." oh. i looked over to my left and realized finn, caleb, and amélie had seen all of what heaven knows just happened, their eyes wide open and red. when they realized i could see them, they all simultaneously looked away as nonchalantly as they could manage. it wasn't very nonchalant.