Chapter 2, Wolves

The cold, blasting wind eventually forced the trees to surrender their last leaves and to bend into twisted disfigurations of their former selves. In Sidon's eyes, they looked like old bones or teeth, dry and pale. Snow fell heavily for weeks on end, burying the valley in several feet of white and cold. Hunting in this frozen wasteland was incredibly challenging in comparison to the green summer months. Most of the prey's food died with the early frost, which resulted in smaller herds. The snow leopards were better equipped to hunt in this climate than the other predators. Their hides were layered in thick camouflaged fur, and they vanished anytime they stopped moving. They no longer had to climb trees to escape the sight of the prey, they could just sit in banks of snow and wait. The brothers were wraiths of the winter months. Competition for food was stiffer than ever. Packs of wolves or even bears would contest the two brothers at every turn.

It was on a clear day when the boys found a wild boar. They were dangerous opponents, capable of eating both meat and plants. It was in a bush, pulling apart a rabbit when Sidon spotted it. Olund notched an arrow and shot the boar in its neck. This only served to stoke his anger. The boar charged the leopards with a furious grunt.

"You'll make a fine meal kitty!" snorted the boar as he charged Sidon. "Run Sidon!" shouted Olund as he leapt at the boar. Sidon ran a few paces before turning to watch his brother. Olund bit and scratched at the boar but it wasn't slowing down. He bucked and kicked in a desperate attempt to loosen Olund's grip. Olund just dug his claws deeper into the boars hide. With a massive kick, the snow leopard was thrown free, taking a chunk of flesh with him. The boar wailed before turning to finish Olund.

"No!" shouted Sidon as he rushed the boar. The boar turned his tusks to face the incoming cat, but it was too late. Sidon latched on to the boar's side and bit wildly at his throat. Luck brought Sidon's teeth to their mark, finding the boar's airway. With a solid bite through the boar's flabby neck, the air pipe was severed. Sidon released his grip and fled from his opponent. The creature coughed blood onto the white snow, turning it a bright crimson. He flapped around gasping for air like a fish out of water.

"My chest," groaned the boar, "Aw fuck, that hurts. Hey kitty!" he shouted at Sidon, "come over here and finish what you started!" Olund was still recovering from the blow the boar gave him and Sidon couldn't kill the boar. After a few minutes, the boar gave up trying to breathe and collapsed onto the snow. Sidon cried miserably as the boar lay down and died.

Olund held him tight but it didn't help. Sidon could still taste the hot blood that stained his face and chest. A chorus of howls raised Olund to his feet. There were scavengers nearby. The wolves came en masse to the cats.

"Well well well! What have we here?" asked the biggest of the silver wolves. "This is our kill!" replied Olund coldly. The wolves laughed at the two cats. There were already two dozen wolves with more arriving every few seconds.

"You want this boar? You will pay for it with your life." Threatened Olund with a snarl The wolves' enthusiasm waned as they realized the cat was right. They may have had the brothers out numbered ten to one, but the short battle would, no doubt, be costly for the wolves. They surrounded the snow leopards and waited. When all the wolves had arrived, there were more than fifty hungry mouths. One bold wolf slunk up to the boar but was pounced on by Olund. In a flash of white, the wolf was limping its way back to the pack, covered in its own blood.

"Sidon, on your feet." Snarled Olund to his whimpering brother. Sidon slowly rose and gave a weak growl. A few of the newer wolves tried to sneak up on Sidon, but the others, the ones that had seen the boy kill the boar, knew better. Sidon bit and slashed in a panicked defense which gave a few bloody cuts and gashes to the attackers who yelped away to lick their wounds.