Chapter 10, Illness

She could see for miles. The valley looked so wide from up here. She was at the top of the world. Over the past few weeks, the fires had gotten worse. The valley had been at peace for so many hundreds of years. From up there she could see ancient forests, brooks and streams that had brought fresh water from the mountains for thousands of years. Now, the trees were burning, and the water ran red with blood. The valley was rather narrow, and it's population rather small. It did not have much use for farming or mining. The only reason these foreigners were fighting here was because this valley was one of the only passes through the mountains. The Empire wanted to push south, so they had to go through the valley. The Southlanders pushed north into the valley to stop the Empire from reaching the border.

From where the princess stood on the balcony, she could watch the slow, bloody fighting drag through the weeks. The flags of the monastery blew violently in the wind. The mountain town was famous for its silence. Not much of anything lived at the monastery's altitude. Today, however, the breeze was especially lively, and their famed silence was nowhere to be found. The princess felt as if she were an audience watching a great drama. The wind would run through the forests and plains creating disturbances in its wake. Back and forth it would breathe across the valley and through the sky far above. Speeding shadows from the great clouds would dance along the ground with the twisting and turning trees and the waving oceans of grass. The view was spectacular. She felt freer than anywhere else while she was on the balcony.

A shivering otter stepped out from the large wooden doors and out onto the balcony. The princess' coat was more than adequate for this environment, but poor Rory was not so fortunate. His fur was far better suited for keeping him dry after a swim but failed him in this air.

"D-dinner is s-s-served your highness. I-I suggest that w-we retire to the dining hall and get out of this cold." Shivered Rory.

The princess turned her gaze from the scenery to the cold butler. "Let's go. I'm sorry to keep you waiting."

The two moved back inside the monastery and closed the doors. The otter breathed a sigh of relief as the warm air wrapped itself around his little body. He scampered off down the hall to hold open the next door for the princess. They passed through another two doors in the same way before arriving at a long dining hall. A great number of dishes had been laid out along the elongated table. Platters of smoked salmon, several large meat pies and half a dozen soups rested on the dark-oak wood. It was a veritable feast by any definition.

The princess sat at her appointed position and waited quietly for the regality to do the same. Her father was rarely present for these common meals, so her entrance marked the start of the proceedings. They were far away from the war, and most things under his care ran themselves. Their monastery town operated largely on the honor system, and things ran smoothly on their own. Her father took his free time and spent it locked away in his study. He was an avid reader and an adept cartographer. Most days her father's telescope could be seen pivoting back and forth out of his large windows.

The buzz of conversation evaporated, and the group descended towards the food. They all took their appointed seats and waited for the person with the most authority to signal the start of the feast. In this case, that person was the princess. She let the silence hang for a minute before nodding to Rory. The otter waddled forward and cut her a slice of salmon. All eyes were on her as she took a careful bite. Once she had swallowed, it was everyone else's turn. The discussions were reopened, the noise returned. Everyone's attention turned back to their own plates and everyone could enjoy their portions. They all ate until they were satisfied.

Afterwards, Rory and a few other servants brought out dessert. The various tarts and fruit cakes were scarfed down. Teacups were clinking and spoons were rattling as the party bubbled over into an adjoining drawing room. A few small mongooses bowed away at their stringed instruments in the far corner of the room.