Chapter 8, The Pit

Their new accommodations were cold. The floor had a thin layer of wet hay, but all else was cold rock. The only feature of note was a hole in the floor about the size of Sidon's fist, presumably for drainage of waste. The comically small beaver house was a palace compared to this, thought Sidon.

"Sidon, are you okay? Are you hurt?" questioned Olund as he examined his brother's hands.

"I'm fine Olund, really."

After a few minutes of checking, Olund's curiosity was satiated. Grum had run a similar check-up on his Felicia and Yol. Everyone was shivering and sore. The fire light left everyone feeling drowsy and the group agreed that they should sleep. They huddled together to keep warm, an idea that was welcomed by all. The beavers and fox piled together, and the two cats lay down encircling them. The whole group was awoken by Olund's stomach. He had not eaten for days and his appetite was ravenous. Grum held his daughter very tightly that night. He had not yet grown to trust Olund, so he laid his head on Sidon. Sidon hoped his stomach would not follow suit.

The next morning was announced by the grate being rattled. Two wolved dropped pounds of berries and twigs, along with two small fish into the hole. Breakfast was served. Felicia, Grum and Yol ate a hearty meal and could barely finish all the food. Olund and Sidon were left with two tiny fish between them.

"Who gets to eat?" Asked Yol.

Olund and Sidon exchanged a sad glance. One of the fish would make a decent meal for the fox, however, for the cats it was but a bite. Olund looked up at the two wolves who were drowsily staring back at them.

"Can't we get some more meat?" Pleaded Sidon.

"No! You're here because of those fine snow leopard pelts. We'll get you fat don't you worry, but you have plenty of meat with you in there already. When you two have finished eating them, then we'll get you some more."

Grum gave a worried look to Olund whose mouth had begun salivating and whose hands had started shaking. Olund's mourning had left him without an appetite for quite some time. His body's needs were catching up with him and he was starving.

"I think your brother should get the fish this time Sidon." Proposed Grum slowly.

Sidon nodded and slid both the small fish to his hungry bigger brother. Olund stared at the measly meal before letting out a guilty laugh. It took some convincing, but eventually he ate the meat. The fish were tiny and were eaten in silence. The day continued without a word from anyone. The two brothers knew that they could fill their bellies for a few days with the beavers. Yol, although a predator herself, would not stand any chance against the two cats. They could eat her too. Yol knew it, Felicia knew it and Grum knew it. The two leopards lay themselves down on one side of the pit and curled in on themselves. After a few minutes, when Grum thought they had fallen asleep, he tested the pit's wall. Grum was strong, he could run fast and swim well. However, he was not a climber. He was sorely unequip to climb the smooth stone wall. He slumped down across the pit from the snow leopards and tried to sleep. His dreams offered him no escape from the pit. Every time he closed his eyes he saw himself dangling above the hungry maws of the cats, and no amount of reasoning or pleading could save him or his daughter. He would wake sweating and shaking before returning to the nightmare. After a few maddening hours, he could take it no longer. He quietly made his way over to sleeping Sidon.

"Sidon, wake up." Said Grum as he gently nudged the drowsy beast. Sidon groaned, annoyed at the disturbance.

"What is it?" he yawned.