Chapter 13, Ignorant

Red light poured through the rows of trees, it flowed around their tall trunks. It sparkled on the mounds of fresh snow. Their moist breath turned into whisps as it danced through the cold air. The birds spun their lovely tunes high above their heads. In the canopy above, peering out of their holes, were the local chipmunks and squirrels. It really was a lovely morning.

"We live in a little town up the mountain. That is where we are heading, and I'm sure my father will allow you to stay as long as you would like," said Eve.

"Thank you, we would be happy to. I'm not sure how long we can stay, but it would be nice to sleep somewhere softer than the ground for a while," replied Olund.

"Wonderful," smiled Rory, "let's not waste anymore time, shall we?"

So, they embarked. The chains and muzzles left at the mouth of the cave, abandoned to the elements to rust, and be buried beneath the gently falling snow. Sidon had been imprisoned, of late, far more than he would have liked. It was funny how little Grum and the raccoon had in common while both sharing the same role. There were always predators and prey, and Sidon had his first experiences as prey in the custody of the beaver and slaver. The feeling of helplessness grew in the dark and ignored back of his mind. He could not protect the ones he loved against those around them. Nor could he be protected, even by his all-powerful and ever-watchful older brother. But most of all, he could not protect himself from continuing to be someone who people had to run and hide from. Someone who people needed constant protection against. At some point, he would need to kill. Even if he did not have to preform the action personally, someone had to die to feed him. Grum and Felicia might live full, long lives around the brothers, but their security came at the cost of other prey. Sidon wondered when they would realize that the two brothers, though they posed no threat to the small family, still had to eat.

"So, what is the plan?" asked Eve.

"Sorry? I don't know what you mean," replied Olund.

"I mean, you don't have a home?"

"No, we are constantly moving."

"That sounds tiresome."

"I don't mind it. You're always meeting new people, seeing new sights. We couldn't live if we settled down somewhere."

"It'd drive you insane?"

"No, I mean we're hunters. We live hand to mouth; we have for years. We don't have a home because the prey would simply keep their distance, and we'd starve."

"Oh," she blushed and turned.

The princess knew nothing of the life they led. She could well be forgiven for her ignorance; her existence was much softer. Her needs were cared for by others instead of by herself. Eve had yet to kill anyone. The conversation withered and died. They walked in silence around the forest's pillars and down it's corridors. They wove through the thinning wood as they turned and started their ascent of the valley's western wall.

Sidon replayed Eve's short conversation with his brother over in his mind. She really was clueless. She knew nothing about how the world worked, and Sidon was fascinated. Where did she live? Was there a place where he could live where he would not have to kill again?

"Eve?" he whispered.

She turned to look at him and whispered, "yes?"

"Have...have you ever...you know..."

"No, I don't know, what are you asking? Why are we whispering?"

"I don't want my brother to hear. Have you ever...killed anyone?"