Losing Her (Caradin)

So... a lot of you reading this are new to my writing. Just so you know, sometimes I really feel like torturing both the characters and my audience.

This is your warning before proceeding any further. ANGST ALERT. Proceed with caution.

The Mandalorian had gotten cocky

I mean, he had every reason to be. The most legendary bounty hunter, with a suit of full beskar steel, who'd never failed to bring in a target over the course of his entire career. Expert marksman and combatant, cunning and able to think on the fly.

Here he was, back on the forest planet Sorgan, but far away from the little village that he'd stayed at the last time he was here. Greef had sent him to track down and kill a few imperial soldiers who had fled from Gidian's ship after the Mandalorian's crew had taken it over. Reports had alleged that a small platoon was hiding out in the dense parts of Sorgan.

Din wasn't alone, though. Sitting behind him in one of the passenger seats and priming her weapon was former shock trooper Cara Dune, whom he had first met on Sorgan what felt like an eternity ago.

"We're about to land," Din said, glancing back at his best friend. "You ready?"

Cara flashed him her signature smirk that would make any Imp say his prayers when facing her in combat. But Din's heart did a flip in his chest. His face heated up, making him grateful that she couldn't see through his helmet.

"You betcha, Mando."

The Razor Crest II soared over the tall treetops as Din searched for a place to land. Eventually, he found a clearing next to a small lake.

"Very scenic," Cara commented when they stepped out of the ship. She raised an eyebrow at Din. "You didn't do this on purpose?"

"Uh-" Din's brain momentarily stopped working as he took in the expression she was giving him. "Do what on purpose?"

"Bring me here, alone. Just you and me. Look at it..." she gestured to the sparkling water rippling with little waves from the breeze. "Perfect spot for a romantic getaway, don't you think?"

"I- what?" Din thought she must've hit her head or something, because what she was saying sounded nothing at all like something Cara would ever say.

Cara suddenly burst out laughing, making him all the more confused. "Geez Mando, I'm joking! Lighten up!"

Now Din was extra thankful for his helmet. He'd never live it down if Cara saw his face right about now. "I am lightened up."