alt. ending

a/n: yall really came after Spencer for being skeptical of steve, so no, i dont feel bad about this.

✰✰✰

SPENCER REBECCA BANNER IS TRYING TO GET TO THE RESEARCH LABS.

She knew it was the fourth floor of the Avengers Towers - half the trouble was finding the elevators that allowed access.

It's her first day of her internship, and she's completely freaking out. This morning she could barely get dressed with out tripping, which led to Pietro having a million and ten heart attacks and shouting, "be careful, woman!"

(But then he pressed a kiss to her head and handed her a cup of coffee, so they were even again.)

Finally, she found the correct elevator, and with a sigh of relief, she stumbled into it. Spencer was fixing her hair and clothes in the mirror when she realized there was someone at her side.

She jumped.

"Oh, hi," she mumbled, embarrassed she hadn't noticed the man sooner. Steve nodded down at her, his hands folded behind his back. He was being cautious around her, and Spencer assumed it was because she totally freaked out on him after she was rescued from HYDRA.

Which was completely understandable on her part, but still.

"Hello," he greeted with a formal nod.

Spencer is having her first day today. And she didn't want to start it on a bad note with this conversation.

She turned to Steve. "I want to apologize," she said. "For everything after HYDRA. I was scared, terrified- I didn't really understand what was going on," she confessed, her face scrunching a little at how desperate she sounded. "I should've listened when Natasha and Pietro and Bruce were trying to-"

"Spencer," he cut her off, meeting her eyes. "I get it. It's alright. Really."

"Right," Spencer nodded, facing forward again. They go silent after a second. Spencer turned back to Steve, more casually. "Did you ever find anything on the Winter Solider?"

"We're getting closer," he said with a small nod, and Spencer smiled.

"Good," she said. "That's good."

The elevator rang, and Spencer stopped.

"That's me," she said, stepping forward. "Good luck, Steve," she told him earnestly, giving him her best smile before facing forward, and preparing to take the step out of the elevator.

In a second, there is a needle pricking against her skin, the elevator doors are closing, and she's falling limp against Steve's chest.

Spencer is slipping out of consciousness, and Steve's voice is just a little over a whisper when he said, "Hail HYDRA."