.06

EVENTUALLY, BRUCE HAD TO GO BACK TO THE LABS TO WORK ON THE SECURITY PLANS

Spencer followed him, because she had nothing else to do, and she decided that she was going to do whatever she could to a) figure out what else he was hiding and b) protect him from Black Widow.

So as Bruce altered settings, test drove different protocols, Spencer said at the table in front of him, tapping her pencil against the packet of her summer physics homework.

She didn't really hate physics, but she had no interest in it - not at all. And she had even less of an interest in it as she sat in the training compound for SHIELD - a national defense agency, as she'd come to know - and the Avengers.

Spencer couldn't possibly focus on anything. She checked her phone like a million times, but there was still no reply from April.

Sighing, Spencer placed her phone down again, and let her eyes dart back to the jumbled words on her sheet. Bruce noticed her distressed but said nothing at first.

But then his daughter threw her head back and let out a small breath of irritation.

"What are you working on?" he asked, leaning away from his work to peer over at Spencer, who was raking her hands through her hair.

"Oh," Spencer straightened up, sending her dad a pained smile, "I didn't mean to - It's fine."

Bruce nodded for a second, but then saw Spencer's expression when her eyes went back to her work. "Let me take a look?" he suggested, and Spencer hesitated for a moment before pushing herself out of the chair, grabbing her packet, and moving tables.

She slipped into the seat next to her dad, feeling like a little kid as she showed him her homework. She was probably seven when her mom gave up on trying to assist with her schoolwork - so this was weird for her.

"I don't want to bother you," she excused because Bruce probably would think her homework was like child's play.

He just shook his head, struggling to find the words to reassure her. He was always bad at words.

After a moment of reading the question, he mentioned, "I didn't know you enjoyed this sort of thing."

I don't.

"It's homework," she muttered with a shrug.

He nodded as he understood, but he didn't. "It's advanced," he said. "Is this what you like learning?"

Spencer debated this for a second, her mouth half-open. Then she pointed to the answer she got. "I'm off by a couple hundred."

Bruce nodded again, squinting at the paper for a moment before letting his face relax.

He turned to his daughter. "Where are you..." he gestured to his own glasses.

"I don't need them," Spencer excused, shrugging as she readjusted the sweater that was falling off her shoulder. It was freezing inside, and Spencer hadn't been brave enough to venture outside the compound yet.