CHAPTER 9

"And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been." - Rainer Maria Rilke.

I stride through the crowded, dusty streets of Gandhi Nagar on a windy Saturday morning, 'till I arrive at aunty Bindiya's restaurant; 'Bindiya's cuisine'. I stare at the open door with the hope that today I won't leave this place dejected like I've been doing for the past three months.

Aunty Bindiya is inside, instructing her workers as she puts on a flowery white apron. She stiffens when she notices me. And fear creeps in. The twelve minutes journey I made today has become futile.

"Arnav," says Aunty Bindiya, pretending to fix her hair net. "Come with me," she adds minutes later. I happily follow her because for the first time in these months, the following words: 'not yet. Come back next week," Does not leave her mouth.

We burst into a room, which appears to be an office. Aunty Bindiya takes a seat on a swivel chair, fixing photo frames on the table. This is most disorganised office I have ever seen. The floor is covered by Pieces of Papers, dirty shoes, dead flowers, and boxes. Colourful stick men have been drawn across the white walls.

"Arnav," She begins, "I have been unfair towards you. I keep promising you a job, but the truth is, Beta, I cannot hire you. (My heart drops instantly.) I tried, honestly I did; I even considered the fact that Saiji is my friend. Employing a child doesn't sit well with me."

How will I keep my promise when I'm unable to get a job? And Nani? If this reach her ears, she will kick me out.

"Aunty-"

"I know your birthday is days away... I am sorry."

When faced with anguish, take a deep breath and move. Remembering what uncle Gurdas said, I take four deep breaths.

"Arnav, think about me. My husband is a police officer. Employing you means risking his job and my children's future."

"Please aunty."

She sighs.

"I'm sorry." She sighs again. "Okay, I know someone who is looking for a person to run errands for him and his workers; bear in mind, people there are not the friendliest, but if you are interested, I can give him a call."

"Y-es. Yes, please."

She Informs the person. "He said, you can go. When you get there, ask for Raajyashree, and tell him I sent you. You will find his workshop on a street after the bus stop, the one next to the market, where Saiji works. Go straight down until you see Mr. Bahl's garage, 'B&B electronics repair', turn right from there. The workshop is the house after the salon. Best of luck."

"Thank you."

A tall man with a buzz-cut hairstyle dressed in a light blue Kurta stands beside the entrance workshop, arranging mannequins in a row. Opposite where he stands is a large oval- shape yellow dusty sign nailed to a brick wall. The words: 'Delhi's Finest Tailor Shop!' are written on it. The words could not be more ironic. For starters: underneath the wooden stairs—in front of the door— is drainage smelling like a rat's journey ended in it.

"Namaste,' I say, gaining his attention. "I'm looking for uncle Raajyashree."

"It is I." He twirls the ends of his moustache.

"I'm Arnav. Aunty Bindiya sent me here. She said you need a worker."

"You! No way." He laughs. "I had no idea Bindiya jokes too." He spins me around then looks at me in the same manner someone looks at an item on display.