CHAPTER 11B

"Every day, every hour, turn the pain into power. -" superheroes, by the Script.

Posterior to fetching Wadke's materials, I march to work. Ms. is by her sewing machine, quietly sewing, whereas uncle Rajyashree is on top of the table fixing the fan. My phone vibrates in my pocket. I set the Wadkes' material on uncle Rajyashree's table. Khushi has sent a message. 

'How's work? Are they treating you right?' The first line reads. I read it twice because this is so unbelievable. 'I wanted to call, but I thought I might get you in trouble. Anyway, I was on my bed then I remembered there was so much I forgot to ask. Did you play the harmonica yet? And what song did you play first? Why didn't you bring the harmonica with you? I told you I wanted to hear you play. Ohhhh, you didn't tell me what you wanted me to congratulate you  with, on buying your first phone. By the way, when did you buy it? I was to focus on the shareholder business. I forgot all about this big step. One more thing, you don't have to answer now. I'll still call you later.' Just wanted to get this off my chest.

'You are crazy. Crazier. Craziest... All is well; I appreciate  your concern. I've yet to play the harmonica. I bought it on Tuesday. The broker asked me to. You know, for a second, I thought you were sending me a text explaining how butterflies are your spirit animal, 'cause you court me off guard with that,' I quickly type the reply.

'In due time, Raizada. We need a special day for that.'

I slide the phone back into my pocket and lift my eyes. The four eyes in the room are staring at me. Uncle Rayjshree is no longer on the table and the fan is working.

"Ah, Arnav, I see it is a good day for you," remarks uncle Rayjshree. " Smiling and all. Are these the Wadkes' fabrics?"

"Yes."

"Good. Put it aside, I'll see to it later. I asked you to do some drawings; did you bring them."

"Yes."

"Show them to me."

Digging the sketches from one of the bags, I hand them to him apprehensively.

"Not bad. Keep practicing; avoid making your line straight. You must relax when draw, remember we are not selling them, they are just helping tools, how we should cut the material and making the cloth. Understood?" 

"Yes." 

What a relief.

"I hope you also remembered to bargain and were vigilant when Safi was cutting."

The relief I was feeling a while ago deteriorates into distress.

"Don't tell me you stood there like an idiot, trusting him to give you the right measurement? I thought you were smart. Wow, your life must be amazing to go around trusting everybody. I wish I knew this side of you, I couldn't have signed the working contract. Damn! What a missed opportunity. Now, listen to me carefully, if the measurement is not enough, even by a centimeter, then prepare to pay for it. Go make yourself useful."

Ms. lets out a sarcastic laugh.

"Just a moment," he halts my step.  "I bet you have never read the note in his shop that says, 'No return, and no exchange after cutting. Make sure you buy the right thing.'"

I look down.

"I knew it. Bring the box of remnants. Let me teach you different types of materials before you one day kill me with a heart attack."

With shaky legs, I bring the box. "Here."

He dumps the pieces of cloth next to his sewing machine. He picks six different materials from the bunch. "Silk, Georgette, Cotton, Chiffon, Satin, and Linen. We will look at the rest later." He raises a navy blue cloth in the air, "This one is what is called silk. Take it." I grab it. "Look at it. Feel it. How is it?"