3

It took you a bit to find your form room, but once you got there, you were greeted by a lovely old woman - your new form teacher, Mrs. Harris. She had already heard that you were new and that this was your first day, and she told you that if you needed anything, just to ask - she would be more than happy to help. 

You could already tell you were going to like her. 

You found yourself a seat in middle of the classroom - not too far in the back, but not right up front either. The other kids in the room barely even looked up from their phones when you sat down - it only made you more nervous. You had been hoping that at least one person would at least try to talk to you, but everyone else in the room seemed completely unbothered. 

You just pulled out your phone as well, mindlessly scrolling through your feed, pretending that anxiety wasn't absolutely killing you on the inside. You just wanted this day to be over already - the first day was always the hardest, and that you were just sitting in silence, left to stew in your own thoughts-

"Hey, you're new." 

You looked up to see a girl sit down next to you, propping her feet up on the bar underneath the desk so that she could rest her elbows on her knees. She was very pretty - skin the color of fine cocoa with long dreadlocks that hung down her back. She was peering at you curiously.

"Uh, yeah." You said, setting your phone down. 

"Figured." She said, nodding at your seat. "I usually sit there."

"Oh." You said, getting up halfway. "I can move-"

"No sweat, you're good." She said. "I'm Maya, by the way."

"Y/N." You said. "I just moved here last week, so..."

Maya nodded.  "Cool." She said. "What instrument do you play?"

"Piano." You said. "But sometimes guitar too - not as well as I play piano though. Uh, what about you?"

"Pretty much everything." She said, leaning back in her chair. "Violin for the most part, but also guitar and the cello. I did saxophone for a while but I didn't really like that so I switched to the trumpet, and sometimes I do the drums too."

"Wow." You said. "That's... a lot. I take you want to be some kind of musician?"

Maya shrugged. "More or less. I wouldn't mind being a classical violinist but if we're being honest I think I would be better suited for the alternative scene. Not a huge demand for violin over there though."

"Well with everything else you play I don't think you'll have to worry about it." You said. 

Maya grinned. "Yeah, maybe." There was a pause in the conversation then as she pulled out her phone and you couldn't help but frown a little - was she done already? But then she just slid it back into her pocket and glanced back up at you, still smiling. "So it's your first day today?"

"Yeah." You said. "I'm kind of nervous, not going to lie."

"Well, its your first day in a brand new school." Maya said. "You've got every right to be nervous."

You smiled at that - you could tell by the tone of her voice that she actually understood. Just hearing that made you relax somewhat too. "Yeah."

"Nothing to worry about, really though." Maya said. "Everybody here is super nice, and if you get lost or anything they'll help."

"Good to know." You said. "I was more worried about my classes, since I'm sure everybody here is really talented-"

Maya stifled a laugh at that. "You don't have anything to worry about unless you're like, really bad. Our school band might be the worst thing I've ever heard, if we're being honest."

"What really?" You laughed along. "But the music program here is supposed to be really good."

"The rest of the program is." Maya said. "But c'mon... they're band kids. Who ever heard of a school band that was actually good?"

You grinned - she had a point. In your experience, band kids were the same everywhere. Maya dug out her phone again, leaning sideways in her chair so that you could see the screen. You rested your elbow on the desk, leaning in. 

"There's the one video from last year that's absolutely hilarious- hold on, let me find it..."

She was interrupted when the bell rang and she frowned, closing her phone and stuffing it back in her pocket. You got up, grabbing your books and checking your schedule again for your first class - piano lab. And judging from the room number, it wasn't too far away from here. 

Maya grabbed her books as well, tucking them under her shoulder. "Find me at lunchbreak and I'll show it to you, yeah?" She asked, tossing a smile at you as she pushed her chair in and started toward the door. 

"Oh-sure." You said, some of the weight lifted from your shoulders. You would have someone to sit with at lunch - which was a huge relief. Maya seemed genuinely nice too - no one else in the classroom had even looked up from their phones. And she hadn't even been bothered that you had taken her regular seat. 

"Cool." Maya said. "See you." With that she was gone, into the flow of students through the hall. You stepped out of the room as well, lingering by the doorway for a second before you figured out which way you were heading. 

You started down the hallway, joining the flow of students and trying to avoid being hit by a trombone case. It was refreshingly normal, and once you were moving with the crowd your nerves settled some. You could do this. No big deal.

Plus, your first class was piano. Easy peasy - you could do that in your sleep... sort of... well, you needed to look at the keys and the music... but the idea was there. Piano was something familiar, and you were glad it was your first class.