9

You went back and forth with Toby over text for a while until you found a time that worked for the both of you - Saturday morning. From there, it was a simple matter of waiting until Saturday morning rolled around and you gathered up all your piano class stuff to make the trek over to his house. It turned out he didn't live too far from you, which was nice, as you didn't have to ask your mum for a ride over then. She was already fussing too much that you were going over to a friends house anyway. 

"You're sure you don't want to bring a snack of something with you?" She asked again. "Just to have while you guys work on your project?"

"I'm good, Mum, really." You said, tucking the blank sheet music pages into the folder you were bringing. "Just had breakfast anyway, I'm sure I'll be fine." You knew she was just happy that you were making friends after the move, but really, it was just a school project. 

"Okay." She said, coming to lean against the wall of the foyer, watching as you tied your shoes. "Just call me if you need a ride back, or anything."

"Will do." You said, standing up and grabbing your folder. You tucked it under your shoulder and leaned in so that your mother could press a kiss to your cheek before turning and opening the front door, stepping out onto the porch. "I'll probably be back around lunch sometime."

"Have fun." Your mother said, closing the door behind you as you started towards the street. You pulled up the address Toby had sent you on your phone, putting it into your maps app and setting the mode to walking. It took a moment for the computer to determine the path, but then you were walking down the road, fumbling for your headphones in your pocket. 

It was the sort of morning that made you love those late spring/early summer months - warm and bright without being overbearing just yet, and a gentle breeze. Definitely classical music for the walk over then, just to match the beautiful atmosphere and get you in the mood to compose. 

Ideas had been dancing around your head all week since Mrs. Mears had announced the project. You really wanted to write something pretty, it was just a matter of what. Did you want a waterfall of notes that sounded like running water over stones? Or maybe a light sort of jive that made the audience want to dance? And then there was also what Toby would have to say too.

Toby Toby. Maya's teasing came back to you then - there was something about it that did seem awfully teen rom-com, you had to admit. Still, you were excited to get writing - it would be nice to clear your head of all the ideas that had been swirling around. 

The walk to Toby's house wasn't particularly long - maybe about five songs - and soon enough you found yourself walking up the steps to the front door, pulling your headphones off and putting them back in your pocket. You shut off your music, instead opening the text thread you shared with Toby to let him know you were here. You rang the doorbell as well, tucking your phone back into your pocket as you waited. 

You could hear someone coming towards the door from inside the house, and soon enough the door opened, revealing a girl that was just a few years younger than you. She looked you over curiously, and you smiled. 

"Hello." She said, obviously not quite sure why you were standing in front of her house. 

"Um, I'm here for Toby." You said, pulling your piano folder out from under your shoulder. "We're working on our piano project together."

"Oh." The girls face changed then, and she turned to call back into the house, "Toby, it's for you!"

Someone shouted back, and then you heard rapid footsteps that sounded like they were coming down a set of stairs at breakneck speed. Toby skidded to a stop in front of the door, almost sliding past on his socks. He grabbed the edge of the door to catch himself, grinning up at you.

"Hi." You said, biting back your laughter. 

"Hi." Toby repeated. "I just got your text."

He opened the door wider and you stepped into the house, casting a quick look around the place. It looked homey - it had that sort of lived in feel without being too much of a mess, and there was a nice big family portrait on the wall. 

"Thanks Lani." Toby said as his sister retreated back into the living room, flopping down on the couch. He turned to you. "My keyboard and stuff is upstairs."

"Alright then." You said.

Toby started up the stairs, and you followed him. Upstairs was a little more messy - and from the open doors you could see that this was where the bedrooms were. Toby led you down the hall, to a door at the very end. Opening it, he stepped inside, holding it open for you. 

You stepped into the room and took a look around. The first thing that caught your attention was the keyboard, up against one of the walls. The second thing was the absolutely huge gaming setup around his desk. You pointed at all the equipment, raising an eyebrow. 

"Oh, yeah, I'm kind of into video games." He said a little sheepishly. "Um, should we get started?"

You settled at the keyboard then, pulling out the rubric and the blank pages of sheet music. Toby got out his own notes and ideas from class, and the process started, delving straight into comparing ideas and trying out different little riffs on the piano, just seeing what sounded good. It was the easy sort of atmosphere that you really liked - you and Toby were on the same wavelength, just bouncing ideas off each other like a sounding board and making bad piano puns. 

It was easy, and it was really nice.