25

Maya did bring you another cupcake the next day, but even the sugary confection and the sweetness of her friendship couldn't stave off your bad mood. 

Toby didn't show up again. 

You tried to rationalize it in your head, telling yourself over and over that there was no way he would just leave without a word, not after the catwalk. But after a week and a half of waiting for him to show up again, you were beginning to believe it less and less. 

The first couple days had been fine - it was plausible for him just to be sick then, and you had school to distract you. Piano lab was a bit of a drag without him, but since you had already done your final exams for the class, Mrs. Mears had you just fooling around in there anyways. It wasn't like you needed a partner to complete a coloring page in class. Still, it would have been nice to have someone to talk to while you filled in your piano with rainbow colors. 

Lunch wasn't that bad either - Maya was a great distracter. She told you stories about her day, or about whatever antics her mother had gotten up to as of recent, or the last date she and Kieran had went on. Those stories stung a little bit - you could have been going on dates with Toby - but it was still nice to hear about. You could tell that Maya was still waiting for Toby to show up too though - each day that passed without a word from him she got more and more irritated. 

It was when the weekend rolled around that the pit in your stomach had really opened up. You lounged about your room for two days, piddling around on your piano and thinking about Toby, or sitting in your window seat thinking about Toby, or laying in bed looking up at the ceiling thinking about Toby. It was a bit pathetic, but you couldn't help but feel like you'd gotten mugged off. After the catwalks, you'd really thought things would have changed. 

Well - they had changed, just not the way you'd wanted them too. 

You were grateful when Monday rolled around again and you had school to get you out of the rut you were falling into. Maya had been waiting for you in form room with a cup of tea, just how you liked it. She'd been eager to know if there had been any word from Toby over the weekend - to which you had to tell her no, you hadn't heard anything. 

Maya huffed, sipping at her own tea. "This is bullshit." She griped. "You don't just kiss somebody and then disappear - real prick move." 

You'd just sighed and meandered off to your first class - you would rather have talked about literally anything else. Of course, you understood where Maya was coming from - she was invested, and of course she would get angry over something like this. You were sure you would get angry about it at some point too. Just not right now. 

Piano class passed much the same as it had been - you went through the motions of the class and tried not to look up every time you saw the shadow of someone pass by the door. It was crazy how much of you liking this class had hinged on Toby - even before you had realized that you liked him as more than a friend. It just wasn't the same without him sitting next to you, making bad music puns and wrinkling his nose every time you had to do a sight reading assignment.

It wasn't much better at lunch. Subconsciously, you had made a habit of glancing over at Toby's usual lunch table just to catch a glance of him, but his seat there was empty now, and his friends carried on without him. You'd thought about going over to ask them if they knew where he'd gone, but decided against it - you didn't know them after all. 

Maya was still looking irritated when you plopped down in your seat next to her. She peeled her orange angrily, ripping off sections of the peel with harsh strokes. 

"Something wrong?" You asked.

"I can't believe you're not pissed about this." Maya said. "I really didn't think Toby would be the kind of guy to pull something like this, but here we are." She stripped another bit of peel off her orange. "Dickhead."

You just sighed, getting into your own lunch. "Yeah."

Maya stopped peeling her orange for a minute, her eyes softening until her gaze fell on you. She let out a long breath before saying, "I really do feel for you mate. This sucks."

You smiled thinly - thank goodness for Maya.

"We should do something about it." She continued on. "You can't just let him disappear like this, it's not fair to you."

"What can we do?" You asked. "He's most likely moved away by now, and we have no idea where he went. I'll get over  it Maya, it's not that big of a deal-"

"But it is." She said. "He just up and left after you guys made out for at least a half an hour up on the catwalks. That's literally against the law!"

You chuckled at that. "Illegal, huh?"

"Should be." Maya grumbled, going back to peeling her orange. "You've just been moping around for days, it's awful."

"Sorry." You said. "I know I'm probably a pain to be around right now..."

"No, I just really feel bad for you." Maya said. "And I want to do something about it, but it's kind of hard when the guy ran away so I can't beat him up."

You chuckled again. "C'mon Maya, you wouldn't actually beat him up, would you?" 

Maya huffed, cracking her knuckles. "I don't know. He kind of deserves it after a stunt like this."

You just shook your head, going back to your lunch, feeling a little bit better after Maya's joking... or at least you hoped it was joking.