5

The rest of the day went much the same - you sat in a few other people's seats and had to explain that you were new about five times, but other than that, it went well. None of your classes seemed particularly difficult, and the people seemed generally nice, like Maya had said. Speaking of, you did end up finding her at lunch, and she showed you that video she had meant to pull up in homeroom - it was pretty funny. 

By the time you were leaving school, any nerves that you had been feeling on the walk over in the morning were completely gone. You left the school building with a crowd of other students, following the flow of traffic until it split - most of the students heading towards the buses, while occasionally someone would split off from the group and start walking. You were just about to turn when you heard someone calling your name.

"Hey, Y/N!"

You turned to see Maya heading towards you, one hand tucked in her pocket while the other held on to a violin case. You stopped, waiting for her to catch up to you.

"Hey." You said. 

"You didn't say you walked in." Maya said. 

"I didn't think it was that important to mention." You said, keeping pace with Maya as you started away from the school. 

Maya rolled her eyes. "Obviously that's important, I need to know if we're going to walk together. Very important part of becoming best friends."

"We're becoming best friends, are we?" You laughed. 

"Of course." Maya said, like it was normal to meet someone brand new, sort of hang out with them during the day and then decide that they were best friend material. "I was in the market for a new best friend anyway, and you seem cool."

"Alright then." You said. It wasn't like you were going to tell her you didn't want  to be her best friend - not when she had been super nice to you all day. "Can I ask what happened to the last best friend?"

Maya glanced over at you, shrugging as she said, "She was racist low key. But I didn't really have any other friends so I just kind let her be for a while."

You frowned at that - you had only known Maya for a day but you could safely say that she definitely didn't deserve that. She was the nicest person you had met all day - except maybe Toby from piano class. Either way, you were glad to fill the position if her last best friend had been toxic. 

"Anyway," Maya said, changing the subject. "How was your first day?"

"Oh, uh." You paused. "It was alright. I kept accidentally sitting in people's usual seats, but other than that it was pretty normal. I only got lost once and I wasn't even late for that class."

"Nice." Maya said. "You said you did piano, right? How was that?"

"Good." You said. "I've got Mrs. Mears for that class and I can already tell I'll really like her. And there was this kid Toby that seemed nice enough."

Maya grinned. "Yeah, everyone loves her. You're lucky you didn't get Mrs. Jones - absolute monster, she is. Gave me a shit grade for an awesome piece I composed just because it was in a key that she didn't say we could use."

You walked with Maya, listening to her rant about Mrs. Jones and her old awful friends and how you really shouldn't use the bathrooms at school if you can avoid it because they're absolutely disgusting. It was nice listening to her talk as you walked, feet hitting the pavement in a steady rhythm in the afternoon sun. Soon enough though, you reached a split in the road and Maya came to a stop, turning to you.

"I go left here." She said. 

"Right." You said.

"Guess I'll see you tomorrow then." She said, turning to walk away and then spinning back, like she had forgotten something. "Actually, hold on, I forgot."

You paused, watching as Maya dug her phone out of her pocket and unlocked it, handing it to you. You looked at her quizzically. "Thanks?"

Maya smiled. "Put your number in, idiot." She said. "If we're going to be best friends I need to be able to text you when my favorite character in a movie dies."

You laughed at that, and typed your number into Maya's phone, setting the contact and handing it back to her. She shot you a text right away, and your phone buzzed. You pulled it out of your pocket, seeing a new message from an unknown number - a single word, penis.

You glanced back up at Maya. "Really?"

She shrugged. "I'm hilarious, simply put."

You grinned, saving her number and turning to start on your own way home. "See you tomorrow Maya."

She waved one last time before you parted ways, and then you were alone, just listening to the sounds of the suburb around you. You hadn't been lying when you'd told Maya that your first day had been pretty alright - you could already see yourself falling into a nice routine, here. Walking to school every morning, chatting with Maya in form room, having your piano class, lunch, and then walking home at the end of the day too. 

And, you had already made a new friend. Maybe two, since Toby had asked you to partner with him in piano lab today. You could see yourself becoming friends with him - he had been shy at first but when you had actually talked to him, he had seemed nice enough. And you were going to be sitting next to him, so it was probably a good idea to at least try and make friends. 

You smiled to yourself as you turned on the street to your house. One (possibly two) new friends, a piano class that you could tell you were going to love, and you had only gotten lost once in the whole day. What had you even been worried about this morning?