27

The rest of the ride to Toby's new house was largely uneventful - you did get Kieran to tell you the story of how his friend had started dating one of Toby's gaming friends (some lad called Tommy), a story that involved a lot of relationship advice on Kieran's end, and a lot of wheedling around feeling on his friend end. It was a good story though, and you were grateful - if it wasn't for that connection, you wouldn't be sitting in the car on your way to Toby's right now. 

It was weird how that kind of thing happened - such a small world.

It was when the highways started turning into smaller roads that the nerves began to build up in your stomach again, getting tighter and tighter every time Kieran made a turn, thinking made this was it, this was his new house. 

As if sensing your growing panic, Maya reached a hand back from the front seat of the car and laid a hand on your knee, soothing. "I can feel you freaking out back there." She said. 

"You weren't even looking at me." You returned. 

"Best friend senses." Maya said, perfectly nonchalant, like that was something that actually existed. "What's going on mate?"

"I don't know if I can do this." You said. The thought of looking Toby in the eye after he had just up and left you without even a word of warning was enough to make you feel a little off balance - or maybe that was just the wind whipping through your hair as Kieran drove. Still, confrontation was never your strong suit - you had typed out a thousand texts that never got sent, all something between 'what the hell man' and 'please come back'. 

You couldn't even bring yourself to text him, and now what? You were driving to his house?

Maya ran a thumb over your knee. "You can." She said, sounding more sure of you that you had ever had of yourself. "You want this, don't you?"

"Of course I do." You said. Having no closure had been killing you - one way or another, this was going to be the end of it.

"Then you'll do it." She said. "And if it goes south, you call me, and Ki and I will come pick you up and we'll get Nandos on the way back."

"Milkshakes too." Kieran chimed in. 

"And milkshakes." Maya amended. 

You smiled - you had the best friends in the whole world. "What are you guys going to do while I'm sorting things out?"

Kieran shrugged. "Drive around, find something to do. Maya said she had a date planned, but I don't know if I trust her."

"I do!" Maya retorted before turning back to you. "See, you really need to get things with Toby fixed, then we can go on double dates and you can stop Ki from bullying me."

You grinned - it would be awfully fun to go on a double date with Maya and Kieran. Especially if you had Toby there are your own date. It would be all the best parts of school wrapped up in one giant present.

"Yeah." You said, feeling more confident after Maya's brief pep talk. "I can do this."

Maya patted you on the knee once more before withdrawing to her own seat. "Of course you can."

It was only a short while more until Kieran was pulling to the side of the road in front of a white house with black shutters. There was a large front porch, and the lawn was neatly trimmed - looked like someone had just done it. There was a similar energy to the other houses on the street as well - this was the kind of community people raised families in. 

"This is it." Kieran announced, looking the house over. 

Maya turned back to you. "You ready?"

You nodded, ignoring the nerves in your stomach for once. This was something you wanted - needed. You were going to get some form of closure today, one way or another. It would probably kill you a little bit inside to actually get up and do it, but you were going to force yourself if you had to. 

You opened the door of the car, getting out and making sure your phone was still in your pocket. Maya leaned over the side, as you closed the door, looking at you. "Call us if you need us to turn around, alright?"

"Alright." You said. 

Maya grinned one last time. "You've got this."

You nodded along, even though you felt like you were going to explode from the amount of nerves running through you. "I've got this."

With that, Kieran put the car in gear and they were pulling away, down the street. You watched them go until they turned the corner, and then you turned around, looking the house in front of you in the eye. 

All you had to do was walk up there and ask for Toby. No big deal. 

Walking was the first step. You forced yourself forward, following the paved path up to the front door. As you got closer to the house, you noticed more of the little things - the muddy shoes on the porch, and the lines on the window sils where flower boxes would be hung eventually. You came to a stop in front of the door, and rewarded yourself with a deep breath. 

Next step, ringing the doorbell. You did, hand darting out and then back to your side in a split second, as if the thing had shocked you. The chime went off in the house and a rush of panic went through you. There was no taking it back now. 

It got even worse when you could hear footsteps making their way towards the door. You clenched your hand at your sides, reminding yourself that when this was all over, you would be happy that you'd done it. 

You watched the lock turn, and the handle push down - the door opened, and then your eyes darted up to the person behind it.