chapter 8- Orcs

It had been three days since they had seen daylight. They had been in these dreadful mines for three days. Rowena had not slept at all taking every possible watch due to the stench of death continuously filling her senses.
They had been walking in a line, her at the back with Legolas when Gandalf forced them to a halt. " I do not remember the path." As he stared ahead everyone moved to take a seat Frodo moving to Raewyn who still stood along at the back.

"Hello girl." He whispered and stroked behind her ears. " I'm scared. This place doesn't feel right." Sh nodded her head before nudging him to her back now only large enough to fit one hobbit. He climbed and she walked up to Gandalf nudging his hand. She then lifted her paw in the left direction.

He whispered a small thanks.
"I've got it." He shouted.
"As he's remembered." Pippin said excitedly.
"No master took. It smells less dark. If in doubt always follow your nose." He replied pointing in her direction.

As they traveled through cavern after cavern the roof seemed to get gradually higher. They then moved into a hugely open area.
" let me risk a little more light." Gandalf called and his staff increased tenfold.
Everyone was in awe at the huge walls that stood before them but then Gimli let out a cry and went running into a small side room were he dropped to the floor.
The others rushed after him as Rowena remained her ears twitching to the sound of footsteps far off.

She then followed to find Gandalf in distress about a loud bang.
"Fool of a took." He grumbled to pippin and then they heard it. Drums in the deep. Rowena eagerly stood in front of the hobbits to protect them seeing a glint of something from under Frodo's shirt.

"They have a cave troll." Boromir shouted as he came back into the room. Everyone stood weapons out and as the first orc hit Legolas and Aragorn both shot through the hole with arrows. But when they managed to get in Rowena was immediately pouncing and ripping off limb after limb while the others watched in surprise at her speed. As the cave troll came in Rowena was hit with one of its chains sending her flying across the room and into a wall.
But by the time it turned she was back on her feet heading straight for the swarms of orcs while leaving the others to fight it. She killed a few more before turning to assess the others and saw that an orc had its bow pointed at Legolas who was running up a chain attached to the troll. Sh instantly was upon it and bit into its neck killing it before it had chance. She then changed her fur to rock as she felt an axe coming down upon her. It shattered upon impact. It was the last one.

When she turned back they were all crowding around Frodo.
"Mithril." Aragorn whispered
"It seems this hobbit it full of surprises." Gandalf said. Then they turned to her and she was met with may faces of disgust. She looked at them in confusion before Gandalf spoke up.
"You are covered in orc blood mi'lady."
She nodded only slightly before heading towards the doors her ears twitching once again. She had left behind many confused looks at how she was so okay with that.

Then the sound of drum rang out again. " to the bridge of khazad-dum!" Gandalf shouted as he led them to a huge chamber.
" this way." They hurry towards a distant door as goblins scuttle down the pillars behind them like cockroaches. Frodo looks with horror at the overwhelming goblin army that's rushing towards them. Suddenly a deafening roar fills the air.
" what is this new devilry?" Boromir asks.
" a balrog.. a demon of the ancient world. This foe Is beyond any of you. Run quickly." Gandalf said sending a pointed look in Rowena's direction to which she sent back a small shake of her head Legolas being the only one who noticed. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion,

As Gandalf yells and others reply Rowena cuts it all out as she begins a chant in her head. They reach a bridge and she is the first to jump across only focussing on the chant.
When she comes too she is running across a bridge and the others behind her them all pausing at the end.
" you cannot pass." Gandalf shouts holding up his staff and sword. " I am a servant of the secret fire. Wielder of the flame of anor. The dark flame will not avail to you, flame of udun. Go back to the shadows."
His sword shatters and for the first time he looks afraid until a female voice speaks in his head.
Do not fear death young one. The end for you has not yet arrived. You shall be reborn in flames of white. Do what you must.
When the female voice stopped Gandalf felt a new burst of strength and turned holding his staff up once more
"You shall not pass." He says slamming his staff down on the bridge. It collapsed sending the balrog to the depths but at the last second it swung up its whip pulling Gandalf by the leg into the abyss.
" Gandalf." Frodo screamed but Boromir held him back.
" fly you fools." he said before he to fell. He gave one last glance to the wolf as he fell and she bowed her head slightly to him.
Farewell dear one.
She whispered and the other thought they heard a small voice in their head.
Then she let out a howl that filled the room and caused the other to put their hand sit their ears.
She then led the way to the exit and out to the light once more.