Never been kissed

"Hi."

Sam frowned for a second, surprised at having someone talking to him right now, but as soon as he recognized the voice, he sighed quietly.

"Hi." He said, closing his locker as he turned to look at Winnie.

"You were a great Creature in the musical last week." She said, trying to initiate conversation. "Although you did wear a shirt and I kind of digged the golden shorts look."

"Thanks?" Sam frowned a bit, as Winnie sighed.

"Look, I came to apologize, okay?" She said, causing Sam to stare at her, shocked. After all, he had heard lots about Winnie Archer, but one thing everyone could agree with was that she usually didn't apologize. Ever. "I could've let you down more gently when you asked me to go out with you. I didn't need to laugh like that. Or make fun of you. And, for that, I'm sorry."

Sam hesitated for a bit then, unsure on how to react, but when he noticed Winnie was expecting an answer from him, he nodded.

"It's fine." He assured, as Winnie sent him a small, rather awkward smile.

"Well, good. But if you still want, we can go to Breadstix tonight, after school." She offered. "Not in a date. Just... You know? To get to know each other? As friends?"

"That... That sounds like a date." Sam pointed out as Winnie rolled her eyes.

"Look, I don't know, okay? I don't usually do that." She admitted. "I just... I'm just offering a free dinner with me so we can use the coupons we won for the competition. So, what do you say?"

"I already used them." Sam said, as Winnie frowned at him. "The coupons, I mean. I used them."

"Oh, did you?"

"Yeah." Sam admitted. "I took Quinn out on a date last week and I used them."

"Quinn Fabray..." Winnie nodded, rather impressed. "So what? Are you a thing now or something?"

"I'm working on it."

"Well, fine. Good for you, I guess." Winnie shrugged then, fixing her bag on her shoulder as she turned around to leave. "Good luck with that, then."

"What do you mean?" Sam asked.

"Nothing, I just really hope it works out for you." She said. "The one true love you've been looking for."

"Why are you like that?"

"Like what?" Winnie groaned quietly as she turned back around to look at Sam.

"Why are so skeptical about dating?" Sam insisted, curiously, causing Winnie to roll her eyes.

"First of all, we're in high school." She shook her head then. "Do you know how many people find love in high school? None. Second of all... Love as a concept... It's not really a thing, is it?"

"You're saying you don't believe in love?"

"I believe in love as much as I believe in Santa." Winnie laughed. "Because, really, they are pretty much the same thing. But while Santa is scheme for parents to waste money on their children because they feel obligated to do so, love is a way for adults to waste money on their so called partners to keep them interested."

"Love has nothing to do with money." Sam argued as Winnie rolled her eyes. "Valentine's maybe, but not love."

"Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but you will someday." Winnie said. "Dating is nothing but a contract that binds you to someone and forces you to do stuff for them. It's just a transaction. Trust me, I've seen it."