Chapter 4

Chapter 4

She had gotten used to his dark gaze finding her between classes or in the Great Hall. For years it had been hateful and cruel, then it turned mischievous and with a glimmer of interest. But after their second run-in in the Restricted Section, Hermione saw a dark gleam in his stony eyes that she had never really seen there before.

If she was honest with herself, it had been a while that she had been noticing him. He had grown from a snarky little boy into quite a fit and good-looking young man over the years. And Hermione had watched as he had done so. She reminded herself that he was awful every time she had let her eyes rest on him just a little too long. This was Malfoy; it didn't matter if he was classically handsome with his pale blond hair and tall frame. He was a purist and she knew what that meant. Anyways, he seemed to remind her every chance he had gotten.

But things had changed between them and she had to be honest with herself about that too. He had admitted to... well, not having feelings for her, but having... an attraction to her? She still didn't know what exactly that meant though and his mask-like expression gave nothing away. Her own feelings were still a bit too jumbled to work out at the moment.

At least the talk of Slughorn's party was able to distract her from the thoughts of Malfoy that seemed to keep creeping into her brain. Ginny had been shocked that Hermione had agreed to go with Cormac McLaggen.

"I thought he annoyed you?" she asked, auburn brows furrowed.

"He does," Hermione answered. "But... well I needed a date and he was asking. Sort of. I guess I sort of asked him?" She shook her head a little. "I don't know, either way, we're going together."

"Well I'm glad you got a date," Ginny brightened up. "And one that's sure to bother Ron. I almost wish he was invited to the party so he could see you there with someone else."

Hermione opened her mouth to answer but was interrupted by Seamus who awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Uh, Hi Hermione," Seamus scratched the back of his head. Her coffee colored eyes turned up towards him and she noticed the book and crumpled parchment in his hand. "I was wondering if you could help me with a Herbology essay?" he asked nervously. "Ron said that you're really good with Fluxweed and Sneezewort..."

She stopped listening for a moment. Of course Ron would send his friends over to her for homework help. That's what she was good for right? Reliable, sturdy, dependable... Like an old boot. Hermione frowned.

"I've tried it myself, honest, Hermione," Seamus went on, thinking her dark expression was due to him. "But I need three pages and I can't find anything to fill the last one and I've been in the Library all evening-"

"Here," Hermione dove into her bag which always seemed to almost be splitting at the seams. In fact, she had placed so many charms on it over the years to stop it from tearing she was surprised that it still showed strain at all. "Chapter twelve of this covers Moly which counteracts a lot of the potions Fluxweed is used in. That should be enough to fill your last page. And when you're done I'll read over it for you if you'd like."

Seamus' face lit up as if he had just heard the Quidditch World Cup was being held tomorrow morning on the castle grounds. "Thank you!" he practically screamed. "I really owe you one, Hermione!"

She gave him a small smile and a shrug before turning back to Ginny, who was watching her carefully.

"What?" she asked at the younger witch's expression.

"Nothing." Ginny said quickly, shaking her head and making her long hair fall like a waterfall of polished bronze.

Hermione sunk back into her thoughts, not able to stay out of them for long. Ron was moving on, why couldn't she? He obviously just did not see her the way she wanted him to, had wanted him to... still wanted him to? She wasn't sure anymore and Malfoy's strange attention wasn't helping make the matters any clearer either.