13 | tests

COFFEE

13 | tests

13 | tests

     Madlyn anxiously drummed her fingers against the round table, eyes fixated on the file placed before her as she listened to the video playing on the television screen before her. Though she stayed focused on the video, she only had a single thought on her mind that she couldn't push away.

     "Over the past two months the LA field office has been tracking a series of four bank robberies in the LA metro area," JJ explained, the security footage continuing to play on in the background. "It's one individual wearing a black ski mask, he's highly skilled. It's his unique MO that put him directly in our court. This happened to days ago."

     Madlyn looked up from her file, resting her elbows on the table and holding her head up with her hands. She watched the footage of the bank robbery play, frowning as she watched the robber force the victims out of their clothes.

     "He's making them undress."

     JJ nodded her head, fixated on the screen. "He takes their clothes and locks them in the vault, then he goes for the cash."

     "Smart," Derek commented. "Nobody's going to run after him butt naked."

     "It's also a psychological advantage. Make the captives feel exposed, intimidated, much less likely to fight back," Spencer added on.

     "That and his gun," Maddie chimed in, her pen gesturing to the screen. "A lot of fire power."

     "Why is this case for us?"

     "Because in the last robbery, two things changed," Jj answered. "One, he beat the security guard nearly senseless. And two, after he made everyone undress, he forced two pairs of victims together at gunpoint, then he made them simulate sex with each other."

     "It's remarkable. By utilising the practical Mo, the unsub has stumbled into a psychological signature." Madlyn raised an eyebrow. "It's fascinating."

     "He's a sex offender now," Elle reminded.

     "Fuelled by violent rage. Only our unsub doesn't know it. If he did, he wouldn't be robbing banks anymore," Gideon explained.

     "So he's a violent sex offender in denial."

     "And a sexual predator who's just escalated his crimes," Hotch agreed, frowning.