03 | a total psychopath

COFFEE

03 | a total psychopath

Madlyn hurried down the stairs of her house in worry, knowing she was running late for work. "Have you seen my house keys?" she called out, smiling to her daughter as she hurried into the kitchen.

Jacob turned to her and shook his head. "Aren't they in the dish?" he asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"No," she replied, looking around. "I came home and I swear I stopped them in the dish, I always do. They're not upstairs or on the table or the living room," she explained, patting down her pockets to her coat once again. "My car key was there but the house one wasn't... I can't believe I lost my key again."

Madlyn sighed as Jacob spoke, "I'll leave the door unlocked when for when you come home, okay? I'm sure it'll turn up."

Madlyn nodded. "Okay." She gave a smile as she hurried from the room, stopping and turning back to kiss her daughter on the top of her head. "Love you, baby," she said with a smile, waving to her fiancé.

     She walked to the front door and took her key from the dish and opened the front door. She exhaled and walked down the front steps of her house. She was had just reached the brick pathway when her phone began to buzz.

     She answered, pressing it to her ear. "Ahoy," she greeted, halfway across the grass.

     "Please tell me you're getting the coffee," Elle spoke.

     "I wish," Madlyn replied, taking her key from her pocket and trying to unlock her car. "I'm running late, I'm sorry. I slept in, I lost my key to the house and now my frickin' car won't unlock!" she exclaimed, tugging at the door repeatedly.

     "The coffee can wait," Hotch told her, Madlyn realising she was on speakerphone.

     "That's ninety percent of my job," Madlyn pointed out, jiggling the key in the lock. "I hate this stupid car!" she exclaimed once the key had snapped in the lock.

     "How much longer do you think you'll be?"

     Madlyn sighed as she began walking down the driveway. "I have no idea," she answered, her tone clearly upset.

     "Call a cab and get here as soon as possible, okay?" Elle asked.

     "Okay," Madlyn agreed.

     She did exactly that and was at the bureau within ten minutes. Another five, she was on the plane.

     She handed out coffee to everyone and sat down across from Spencer. "White goes first," she told him. Spencer nodded and made a move, Madlyn doing the same. The plane began to move, Madlyn not noticing they were up in the air until she glanced to the window.