06 | against orders

COFFEE

06 | against orders

06 | against orders

Madlyn had gotten in a lot of trouble from Hotch. She had felt like she was in high school, being yelled at by the principal.

"What did I tell you to do?" Hotch asked her.

"To call someone and they would be there," Madlyn answered after a moment.

"What did you do?"

"I called you and you were there."

Hotch shook his head. "No, that's not what I'm talking about. You disobeyed my orders-"

"Okay, technically, I never!" Madlyn exclaimed, holding up a finger.

"What?" Hotch asked, eyes narrowed at Madlyn.

"You never said not to engage with her. I did what I was told and then some!" Madlyn exclaimed, with a small and proud smile.

"Madlyn-"

"I stand by what I did," Madlyn interrupted. Hotch continued opening his mouth to try get in a word, but he couldn't as Madlyn continued speaking. "If I didn't act then maybe the kids would be dead so I did what my morals told me to do so I did that. The kids are okay, probably scarred for eternity, mind you, but they're alive! Clara is locked up and I'm okay! Nothing bad came out of it. Frankly, I don't understand why you're mad at me I never disobeyed your orders because your orders were-"

"Madlyn!"

"-vague," Madlyn finished, her voice quiet.

"Your actions were irresponsible. You have a child to be concerned about," Hotch scolded.

"My actions saved three kids!" Madlyn exclaimed, arms spread out by her side. "I'm not apologising, I stand by what I did."

"You're not here so I can get an apology," Hotch told her. "You're here because actions have consequences."

"I have a daughter, don't you think I know that?" Madlyn retorted.

"Exactly. You have a daughter." Madlyn raised an eyebrow, confused. "What would happen if you had gotten injured? You dropped out of the field so you wouldn't put yourself in danger and then you did exactly that," he explained.

     "But I'm okay!" Madlyn laughed. "I didn't get hurt!"

     "What if you did?" Hotch shot back.

     "I only had one thought in my head and that's no parent should have to outlive their children!" Madlyn yelled, pointing her finger in Hotch's face. Hotch simply kept his glare, straightening his posture. "They were kids and I did what I would do if it was Lily and Jake. Imagine it was your child and Haley in there. Would you stand there and do nothing!?"