17 | missing

COFFEE

17 | missing

17 | missing

     Madlyn took out her gun, following Derek and Emily to the barn. She looked at the dead dog and the mauled remains of their victim.

"FBI!"

Maddie spun around relieved to see JJ standing with a gun pointed at them all. She lowered her gun and walked forward, Derek shouting to her that it was okay.

"Are you hurt?" Derek asked, trying to find any injuries.

JJ lowered her gun, relieved. "Tobias Hankel is the unsub," she announced.

"Yeah, we know."

"We just thought he was a witness," she explained, shaking her head. She faced the dogs. "I had to kill them."

"JJ, where's Spencer?" Maddie asked, her voice wavering.

"They just completely tore her apart. I mean, there's nothing left."

"JJ, look at me." JJ turned around to Emily, shaking. "Where's Reid?"

"We split up, he said he was going to go around back," she answered, Madlyn and Derek sharing a look before both of them took off out the barn.

Maddie ran down the hill towards the large corn field, shouting for Spencer. She lost her footing, falling onto her rear and skidding down the remainder of the hill. Derek called down to her, checking she was okay — he was only met with more shouts after Spencer. He sighed, knowing that was the best he would get from her and continuing to search the top of the hill.

Looking around frantically, she raised the flashlight and shouted louder for him, voice breaking. Deep down, she knew what had happened. The agent side of her knew that he was long gone, but the side of her that was Spencer's best friend refused to believe it.

She stopped, looking at the flattened grass and furrowing her eyebrows. She pressed the back of her hand to her mouth, steadying her breaths. She turned around to the footsteps, nodding to Derek behind her.

She cleared her throat, shining the light on the ground by her feet. "Somebody was dragged," she told him. "Presumably Spencer."

Derek nodded, gesturing for her to follow him. She stayed in place, unable to find the courage to make herself move. With no hesitation, Derek wrapped his arm around her shoulder and ushered her forward. "He'll be okay, Maddie," he promised. "We'll find him."