One

"Good morning, everyone. I'm Natalie Gillermo, seventeen years old. I like reading." I stated with a small smile in my lips.

Ngumiti ang professor namin sa Introduction to Law and Legal Research. She looked pleased even though, unlike the other students, I introduced myself very briefly.

"Fancy to have you in my class, Miss Guillermo. I will expect so much from you since your records are very impressive."

"I heard she just bought her way on the top. Sobrang mayaman pa naman ang pamilya niya."

Lumawak ang ngiti ko sa narinig mula sa likuran ko. I can feel all their eyes on my back since I'm sitting on the front row alone. I don't know why everyone is afraid of the front row kahit na desisyon naman nila na kumuha ng Legal Management course.

Why pick a course you are afraid of anyway? Alam naman ng lahat na pre-law course ang Legal Management tapos pipiliin pa rin nila. Tapos matakot naman.

"I'm looking forward to your subject and way of teaching as well, professor."

"That's the first time I heard someone looking forward to my teaching." The corner of her lips lifts in amusement. "I like you already, Miss Guillermo."

"That's a very biased statement, ma'am."

"Can you give me what you know about my subject, Miss Guillermo?" She asked out of nowhere.

Medyo nagulat ako doon. Kakasimula pa lang kasi ng klase tapos hindi pa tapos ang introduction ng lahat ng mga kaklase ko. And she's already asking me a question. Mas lumakas tuloy ang bulungan sa likuran ko. Bumuntong hininga ako bago tumayo.

I opened my mouth to answer her. Katulad ng gusto niya, sinabi ko lahat ng nabasa ko tungkol sa subject niya, which is Introduction to Law and Legal Research. Continuously without minding the look on our professor's face and to all the murmurs on my back.

"That was what I read in one of the books in our library. And I've read more of them throughout my vacation. Should I continue, ma'am?" I stopped after five minutes of explaining what I knew about the subject she would be teaching us.

"Y-You can stop on that..." She stares at me in awe.

"Thank you po," At umupo na ako.

"Damn, she really has the brain. Mali yung rumors!"

I silently smile and shrug my shoulders. Well, this is how I fight back. Without interaction but certainly impactful.

My morning class ended with just about introducing ourselves to our professors as well as the intro to the subject they are handling. I've been preparing myself for this so it wasn't that hard for me to understand the lesson. Sa buong bakasyon ko sa London, puro libro ang kasama ko kung wala kaming family gathering na pupuntahan.

I went out of the school for lunch. Allowed naman na lumabas sa school basta ipapakita sa guard yung schedule para malaman nila if may klase kami. They won't allow a student who have schedule to go out of the premises.

I went to the nearest coffee shop and ordered cheesecake and frappe as my lunch. Mom will probably scold me if she learns about this but since I know she won't, sasamantalahin ko na ang pagkakataon.

Nilabas ko ang laptop ko at ilang libro na binili ni Mommy sa Venice nung pumunta sila doon para sa isang gathering last week. As usual, it's a book about law and the other is related to psychology.

My next class would be at two o'clock. I still have two hours to do whatever I want. At first, I was reading, but I got curious about the displays here in the coffee shop. There are books and board games which are not familiar to me. Yung mga libro naman ay may romance section na matagal ko ng gustong magbasa.

Wala pang isang oras ay binitawan ko na ang librong binili ni Mommy. I stood up and slowly walk towards the romance book section. Kaunti lang ang mga 'yon pero may tag na best seller romance book kaya mukhang maganda lahat. It wouldn't be tagged as best if not, right?

I picked up a book entitled The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks. It says he's the New York Times best-selling author. I'm also intrigued by the cover photo which is a simple photograph of a big front yard captured from the patio. Kinuha ko 'yon at pumunta sa counter para umorder ulit ng kakainin ko. I chose a big cookie this time and a latte since I already finished my cheesecake and frappe.

Bumalik ako sa couch na inuupuan ko at nagsimulang magbasa habang inaantay ang order ko. I was very engrossed by the book to the point that the beeper startled me when it rang and vibrates. Namula ako dahil nakita nung lalaki sa counter ang pagsinghap ko sa gulat.

"Thank you." I smile at the man on the counter timidly.

Nakatitig lang siya sa akin na ikinailang ko. He didn't say anything so I walked back to my table to continue reading the book.

The story is really good. Very romantic and Westernized. The male protagonist was very aggressive in the first scenes and some scenes are really funny. Alam kong Romance genre ang libro sa simula pa lang, pero hindi ko inaasahan na may mga eksena palang... hindi pa pwede sa akin.

I can feel my cheeks burning when I reached the part where Noah and Allie are doing... something my mother forbids me to know. At dahil nga wala akong alam sa bagay na 'yon, grabe ang gulat at hiya ko habang nagbabasa.

It's my first time reading a different book aside from my academic ones and I already encounter something I shouldn't read! Pero kasi, the cover doesn't look like it has rated 18 on it! It was a very subtle book cover! Malay ko ba na may scene pala dito na ganito?

"Based on how red you are, I'm sure you're on the abandoned house scene or the rain."

Nabitawan ko ang libro sa sobrang gulat sa nagsalita. Lalo pang namilog ang mga mata ko ng makita ang isang matangkad na lalaki na nakatayo sa gilid ko. Sporting a navy blue V-neck shirt and jeans, he looks so tall in my eyes probably because I'm sitting and he's standing next to me. His green eyes are looking down at me and there's amusement on it as well.

"Am I right?" He smirked.

I recall what he said and I could feel my face and neck heating up next. For the first time in my life, I don't have anything to say to defend myself! Because he's right and he caught me!

Nauwi sa tawa ang ngising nasa labi niya ng hindi ako nagsalita. He placed down his black bag on the chair beside my table and then he sat on the couch next to mine, still looking at me teasingly.

"Oh, wait until you watch the movie, baby girl. It was hotter than those scenes in that book..." He insinuated while grinning at me.

Mas lalo akong nahiya. The idea of watching the movie including the rated 18 scenes made me so flustered. I bit my lower lip and turned my eyes away from the man with dark-looking eyes. Then I frantically fix my things on the table and shove them all into my bag.

"A-Aalis na ako..." I mumbled without looking at him before I stood up. Mainit pa rin ang mga pisngi ko.

"Hey, wait. Did I offend you? I'm sorry–"

Hindi ko na siya pinatapos pa at basta na lang umalis doon matapos kong ibalik ang libro na hiniram ko sa shelf nito. I walk out with my eyes down in so much embarrassment.

No more romance books for you, Natalie!

𝕃𝕌ℕ𝔸
𝕏𝕆𝕏𝕆