ReAwakening: Part 2

Originally, fighting was unrefined. As the exchange of fists, it was quite far from beautiful, taking the form of violence. Put simply, it was merely attacking and defeating an enemy with no elegance, a graphic reality born from competing to survive. But through millennia of history, people started developing their individual abilities, staring a new era. 

Arguing with someone weaker than you seemed meaningless, since you could just overpower him. 

A new hierarchy began to form, with people climbing the ranks, even if they didn't deserve to possess such a tremendous amount of authority. They weren't chosen based on their qualities. Everything revolved around power.

Corruption appeared among the ranks. And its effects were easily recognizable.

Ember. An illegal organization funded by the authorities, with its primary goal being the vigilantes execution. You would expect them to be held accountable for their actions, but with the media covering them, Ember presence was narrowly known.

.

.

.

.

Location: Leilah's lab

Arlo's barrier seemed to be their last line of defense. They were surrounded, with the numbers being against them. 

Leilah and Remi activated their abilities shortly afterwards, with their overwhelming aura emitting the room, alerting the mercenaries that even if they had the element of surprise currently, none of three high tiers was willing to go down without a fight. 

"Hand us the girl, there is no need for casualties" Volcan said.

Her mockingly grin was cut short, since she had to dodge Remi's lightning.

"Does this count as our answer?" Remi yelled  

Volcan eyes had a sight of disappointment in them. 

"So be it" she said signaling her lackeys to begin the attack.

In unison, all of them activated their abilities and rushed against them. The majority of the mercenaries seemed to possess some kind of fire claws, similar to Volcan's. 

"Wait, how can they have the same ability?" Arlo thought 

The distance between the two groups decreased with every second that passed, with their collision being imminent.

Something appeared before their own eyes, smashing the ground between them. The cloud of debris swept over them before they could even hear the sound the figure's collision made.

Whem the dust started to settle down, a figure stood between the two groups, grinning.

"I suppose I'm not late to the party"

.

.

.

.

The mercenaries seemed startled by the raven's presence. But they quickly shook it off. They started to split, attacking both parties at the same time.

All of them were significantly fast, but not even a touch was to be had. John handled all his attackers together like they were nothing. One attacker thrusted full force against him, only  to be pinned to the ground shortly afterwards. Amid the unending rain of attacks, John's dodges displayed an unmistakable elegance and effectiveness, handling them with rapid and calculated movements.