28

Hero

"Yeah, he's broken," the doctor said, "again."

I kept my eyes lowered, avoiding Mom and Dad at all costs.

"Thanks, Doc," Dad said, and I could see his hands on his hips out of the corner of my eye.

Shit, he only does that when he's pissed.

I looked up when the doctor closed the door behind him, still avoiding them. I puckered out my lips, keeping my eyes locked on the machines around me.

"Well, you guys can head on out, if you want to," I said, smiling over at them for a split second.

Dad looked more annoyed than anything. I leaned my head back against the bed, clenching my jaw.

"Hero, you do understand that if you want to go to school for ball, you've got to be able to play."

"Well, duh," I muttered, lowering my eyes again.

"How do you manage breaking your hand and arm, on two separate occasions, in a matter of two weeks?" Dad asked, "I'm confused, really."

"What can I say, casts are drawn to me," I said, shooting him a charming smile.

Mom sat on the edge of my bed, gently rubbing my arm. "It's okay."

Dad shook his head, his eyes narrowed.

"Hey, champ," Henry greeted, peeking through the door with a grin.

I nodded, chuckling. Amelia and Brian followed after him, making me lean back against my bed.

"The doctor basically told me what I already knew," I said, scooting my legs over for Amelia to sit.

Dad folded his arms over his chest. "I know for a fact that all of you have been drinking, so which one of you drove?"

Brian held up his pointer finger. "I-I hadn't been drinking, sir. Amelia offered to drive, but I knew she'd had a few sips-"

"I didn't ask for your life story," Dad deadpanned.

Brian nodded, folding his arms over his chest. "Y-yes, sir."

Mom let out a sigh, smiling back at me. "We'll get you in a cast, get you home in bed, and all rested up."

Dad scoffed and turned around, and I could basically see his eyes rolling into the back of his head. I chuckled and nodded, grabbing Mom's hand. "Yeah."

She pressed a kiss to my cheek, rubbing my arm before standing up. "Thank you, for driving him."

Brian smiled. "You're welcome. Hey, is Fran here?"

"Brian," I warned, making Dad turn around.

"Why?" Dad asked, shaking his head.

"J-just wondering," he said, "no reason."

He lowered his eyes to his feet, making me smile over at Amelia. "Hey."

"Hey," she greeted, smiling.

I leaned my head back. "You're gonna sign my cast, right?"

"Oh, for sure," she said, "I'll be the first signature."

I grinned at her, winking. I looked over at Dad, who still had the same annoyed look on his face.

Brian slipped his hands into his pockets. "I'm gonna head out. Henry, wanna-"

"Yeah," Henry said, nodding towards Amelia. She smiled and rubbed my arm before standing up, and the three walked out of the room.

"You are going to have to settle down, Hero," Dad calmly said, his eyes meeting mine.