39

Hero

My eyes fluttered open, making me let out a sigh as soon as I saw my ceiling.

It was official- I, Hero King, had hit rock bottom.

I rubbed my eyes and sat upright, looking over at my clock. It wasn't even nine A.M., and I was already exhausted.

A recap- I couldn't find it within me to eat, and if I did, I refused to keep it down. I couldn't do anything right, according to really anyone. I couldn't feel anything. I had no clue what I looked like. I felt like a failure.

Yeah, I'd say you're doing good, man.

I swung my legs over the side of my bed, bracing my elbows on my thighs. I looked at myself in my mirror that was hung beside my bed, not even recognizing myself.

I stood up, my head spinning. I braced my hand against the wall and sighed, rubbing my eyes. I walked into my bathroom and did my business, leaning my head back.

"Morning."

I looked over at my bedroom door, seeing Dad leaned against the frame. I finished my business and walked out of my bathroom, sniffling. "Morning."

"Hey, everyone's coming in today," Dad said, "so we're cleaning house before you go to school."

"Yay," I whispered, looking at him through my mirror.

He chuckled, folding his arms over his chest. "Hey, did you get that scholarship application filled out? I signed it for you."

"Yeah, I did," I said.

He nodded, dropping his head.

"I just want you to do what you want to do," he softly said.

"Dad, let's not," I said, "it's not even nine o'clock."

I walked into my closet, grabbing a t shirt to throw on with my sleep pants. I walked out and looked over at him.

He nodded, trailing his eyes down me. "You look tired. Did you sleep?"

I nodded as I sat down on my bed. "Yeah, I slept fine."

"Are you okay, Hero?" He asked.

"Dad," I muttered, looking over at him.

"You can talk to me," he said.

"There's nothing to talk about," I adamantly stated, keeping my eyes locked on his.

"Hero, this isn't you," he said, "I-I don't know who you are."

I laughed, standing up. "Yeah, imagine how I feel. When I look in the goddamn mirror and don't know who I'm looking at anymore."

Only a few inches of space stood between us, our eyes locked on each other's.

"Hero, do I need to get you some help?" He softly asked.

I laughed, brushing past him into the hallway. "Don't treat me like that. Like something's wrong with me."

"I'm trying to help you," he said, turning around to face me.

"I don't want your help, Dad!" I exclaimed, "I-I don't want it. If I can't get through this alone, then I'm not getting through it."

"Don't you fucking say that," he said, his eyebrows in an angry furrow.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Dad, who the hell do you think I got that from? Where do you think this mentality came from? It's you."

"I know, Hero," he said, "and I'm trying to fix that."