15

Alexis

I folded the last sweater of mine and placed it on top of the stack of already folded clothes, standing up from my rather uncomfortable position on the floor.

I scanned what had been mine and Fred's room for any belongings I'd forgotten. Mostly everything had been packed up, and was ready for my new apartment in the city.

I took a deep breath, biting down on my lip. I turned around when I heard footsteps, seeing Henry try to sneakily rush past the door.

"Henry," I sang, "come in."

He peeked his head inside, smiling a soft smile. "Hey, mom."

He looked down at my suitcases and bags, his smile fading. "It's really happening, huh?"

I wrapped my arms around him for a hug. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head, resting his chin on my head. "I understand."

"I don't think your sister's on the same page."

"Don't worry about her," he said, "she's a teenage girl."

I smiled, shaking my head. "You know a lot about those?"

He shrugged, and I could feel his face stretch into his father's famous smile. "I know enough."

"Right," I said, patting his back as I pulled away from him.

"Hero and I are about to go get fitted for the gala," he said, "do you need me?"

I shook my head, smiling up at him. "No, sweetheart. Go have a good time. Pick a nice suit, please."

He pressed a kiss to my forehead before jogging out of the room, making me sigh. I rolled my suitcase over to the door, stopping when I saw Fred.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were in here."

I shook my head and watched as he walked past. I could tell he was no longer making an effort, he just understood what I wanted. He was bitter, but he'd let me have my space.

"Just getting everything packed up," I softly said, cautiously looking up at him.

He looked down at the suitcases, bags, and boxes strewn about, looking nothing but angry. Fred rarely got angry in his older age, even with his hereditary temper that he'd fought since he could.

He clenched his jaw and shook his head, looking away. "You packed your entire life up in four bags."

I bit down on the inside of my lip and hugged my sweater close to me.

"Was it just not worth it?" He asked, shrugging.

"Fred, please," I said, looking down.

"No," he said, "w-was the thirty years together just not worth it? Was the marriage not worth it? Was the fucking family that you and I created not worth it?"

"Please don't go there," I said, my eyes meeting his angry ones.

"It's not just me, Alexis," he said, "you are bringing more parties into this than just me."

"I don't know where I went wrong in clarifying, but I'm doing this for the three of you," I said, nodding, "I have no desire to let the three people I love most in this world see me like this."

"Those three people that you're leaving behind want nothing but for you be supported, Alexis," he said, "none of us want you to shut us out. Is that not what you and I agreed to eighteen years ago when we got married?"