Wattpad Original
There are 15 more free parts

02. Gigantic Balls in Hugo Boss

I left my steady job of five years for this company, which means I can get sacked during my six-month probation if I fail to deliver the required performance. If I'm out of a job, I will need to find another job as soon as possible to keep my bills covered. And if I'm too long in between jobs, I will have to make a few adjustments, and it will suck because I have a kid to raise. Talk about being nervous!

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. We do have savings to survive at least two years of not-so-extravagant life. Still, that money should stay exactly where it is now. Isn't that the very reason we call it savings? We need to keep it —increase the amount if possible— and try not to spend it, right?

The elevator stops on the fourth floor and the doors slide open. Once I walk out of the car, I'm welcomed by a compact yet cozy lobby with a big blue sign 'Knight & Co.' on the white granite wall behind the receptionist's desk. A pair of Gold Palms in yellow pots adorns the corners of the room, bringing in nature's vibe to balance the modern interior design. There are corridors on either side of the company logo but I can't see anything else other than glass walls along the passageways.

A young woman, who I'm guessing is in her early twenties, sits behind the desk, talking on the phone while her eyes are fixed on the computer screen. She doesn't notice me walking in her direction until I stand right before her desk. She lifts her gaze and raises her forefinger to signal me that she won't take long.

I nod and step away, giving her room to finish whatever she's doing now. I shift on my legs as my fingers fiddle with my new ID card, eyes roaming over the lobby on the fourth level. It's when the elevator dings, and then the doors slide open again, revealing a woman around my age in a knee-length black dress wrapped in a fitted grey blazer. She's wearing black plain tights and nine centimeters stilettos that match the color of her suits. Her straight black hair is pulled into a ponytail, swaying gaily as she walks in my direction.

"Morning," she greets.

Not sure if it's addressed to me or the receptionist girl, I smile at her and greet her back, "Good morning."

She strides past me and the receptionist's desk, heading to the corridor on the left, but then she halts and turns around. "Are you...the new account executive who is starting today?" she asks, tilting her head as if she's trying to remember something. "Sharleen, right?"

"Yes, I am the new account executive," I reply with a wide smile, feeling a little less nervous for some reason. I take a few steps forward and extend my hand. "And it's Charlotte. A pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise. I'm Gina and we will be working together." She shakes my hand while shamelessly taking in my figure before her eyes dart back to meet mine. "Welcome on board. And let's go, the meeting is almost starting." With that, she turns around and begins to walk, leaving me no choice but to follow suit.

"Whoa, where are you guys going? You can't just bring her inside, Gina!" the receptionist girl asks in panic, her palm covering the phone receiver.

"Of course I can," Gina replies.

"But I need to have her name first! The last time I let in a woman who wasn't on the guest list, I almost got slaughtered alive!"

Gina spins around, giving the receptionist a deadpan look. "Girl, I'm making your life a tad bit easier. She's the new executive on my team, meaning she isn't our big boss' one-night stand, meaning her name is sitting on your list. I'm bringing her in."

Seeing how these two girls glare at each other, I clear my throat. "The name is Charlotte. Charlotte Garnett."

The receptionist quickly grabs a pen and jots down my name on her note. She glances at me while mouthing "thank you" before resuming talking to the person on the phone.