Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

15. Life, and Its Sense of Humor

The trip to the hospital is uncomfortable.

After twenty minutes of talking in private, we went back to his office room and found out the girlfriend was no longer there. Ashton cussed under his breath, but he didn't do anything about her departure. Instead, he grabbed his phone from his upper drawer —that explains why he didn't respond to my call— and slipped it into his pocket before leaving a short message for Andy.

Now here we are, sitting inside his Mercedes-Benz, heading to the hospital. He doesn't want his driver to drive us for some reason, but I'm too scatterbrained to ask at the moment. After giving him the hospital address, I sank myself into the passenger seat and haven't moved a muscle ever since. Luckily, Ashton doesn't seem to be in the mood of talking either.

It's when I realize that my phone is still on silent. I haven't changed it back to ring mode since I left the observation room. Thinking that Sophie might have called me for some important update about Chloe, I retract my phone from my blazer pocket. There is one text from her, saying that Mom and Dad have arrived, and a few missed calls from Ethan.

Ethan. Shit! I totally forgot that I'm supposed to meet him for lunch at the coffee shop. I instantly hit the call button and he picks up on the second ring.

"Char?" Ethan greets, his voice is as calculated as ever.

"Ethan, I'm so, so sorry I stood you up. I completely forgot about our lunch," I squeak.

I can hear him sigh, but it's hard to decide if it's a disappointed sigh. "I was getting worried because you didn't answer my calls. Is everything okay?"

"No." I take a deep breath. Do not cry. Do not cry. Do not cry. "It's Chloe..."

"What about her? Is she alright?"

"No. She's in the hospital now. She got into an accident." Tears are pooling in the corners of my eyes. Damn it. "She's lucky that there are no serious injuries."

"I'm sorry, Char. But I know Chloe is a strong kid," Ethan says. "Is there anything I can do? Should I come to you?"

I shake my head even though I know he can't see me. "No, no need. She's getting the help she needs," I reply, glancing at Ashton who is driving with his gaze fixed on the road. "I'll let you know when she's able to have visitors."

"Okay. Hey, you got this, you hear me? Let me know if you need anything. I mean it, Char. Call me. Anytime."

"Okay. Thank you, Ethan. I'll keep you updated. Bye."

After hanging up the phone call and replying to Sophie's text, I slip my phone back into my pocket and revert my eyes to the road. Another thick silence blankets the air inside my boss's car, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm just too exhausted and thirsty. I haven't had anything since my breakfast with Chloe this morning.

"What kind of accident was that?" Ashton's voice pulls me back to the current moment.

"A drunk driver almost hit Chloe's school bus. The bus was trying to avoid it but then it lost control."

"What happened to the drunk driver? Did he escape?"

"No. She hit the tree and died on the spot."

"Good," he mutters under his breath.

"One kid didn't make it, though." I whimper as I rub my forehead. "It was so heartbreaking and terrifying. What if it was Chloe? I just can't lose her."

Tears escape my eyes again. I turn my head to the passenger's window, not wanting him to see me crying. I just can't help myself from being an emotional wreck right now. Ashton says nothing but he reaches out to give my shoulder a soft squeeze, and it's enough for me. Having emotional support from Chloe's father, regardless of how weird our situation is, makes me feel somehow braver.