004 | outlaw

━━┛ 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑┗━━

━━┓'𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐥𝐚𝐰' ┏━━

━━┓'𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐥𝐚𝐰' ┏━━

𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑

━━ ★ ━━

. . . KEREN CITY, NABOO

The evening sun was only just beginning to set when Cora was caught.

There was a dull sound of an alarm, and it was only seconds before the door to the room slid open. A uniformed guard was looking at her, very red in the cheeks.

"I'm only gonna ask this once." He lifted a blaster pistol, wrapping a pudgy finger around the trigger. There was some relief on his face at finding her alone and not with a group of thieves. "Put your hands above your head."

She complied, side eyeing the telescopic lens that was sitting on the desk. The blindingly rich man who owned it couldn't possibly understand what he had, or how badly Cora needed it.

Through her voice modulator, she said, "Behind you."

His mustache wiggled as he smirked. "Valiant effort. I'm not falling for that."

"No?" she asked, stalling for time. The doorframe behind him was almost at the right distance for this to work. She took a small step back, and he took the same forward. "That's unfortunate. I was going to let you off the hook, too."

"There is no hook in anyone except you," he said, proud for coming up with such a comment.

In the space of a blink, she grabbed the lens off the desk and shoved it into the bag at her waist, jumping up and using the desk as a vault. Launching her body up, she kicked out into his stomach and made a mad dash for the doorway. Sure enough, there were more footsteps already thundering down the carpeted hall in her direction.

Cora glanced to the side. Through her goggles, she could see the heat signatures of an approaching group of guards. This had to be the best-guarded mansion in Keren, because not half as much effort was being put into keeping the streets free of crime.

No matter, though. Taking the past of least resistance, Cora ran until her boots thudded down a cracked marble staircase and onto the streets. The dark facade of the mansion loomed behind her until she turned down an alleyway and out of its sight.