002 | bury me face down

━━┛ 𝐓𝐖𝐎┗━━

━━┓'𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧' ┏━━

━━ ★ ━━

...THEED, NABOO

THE LAW OFFICES OF LYRANNA GRENÉ had a fish tank in the reception area.

Cora sat in front of it with a book spread open in her lap, but her eyes were trained on the fish that swam back and forth behind the glass. One big purple fish turned and she could have sworn it winked at her. She scribbled a new question in the margins of her homework: can fish wink?

"Cora?"

Cora shot up from the sofa so quickly, she startled the secretary at the front desk. The aging woman pressed a wrinkled hand to her chest. Honestly, if she were to have a heart attack it might be better for all of them.

Lyranna stepped out from the hallway that led back to her personal office with a notebook tucked under one arm. She was late for something, fingers twisting her wedding band like they always did when she was anxious. "I need you to run an errand for me. You don't look very busy–"

"I was studying," Cora interjected, folding her arms across her chest.

"You were watching the fish," snapped the receptionist. Her lip curled in distaste.

"I'm sure fish watching can wait a few minutes," her mother sighed. "I sent some documents over to the embassy this morning to be signed by Hector Vu. Can you go pick them up?"

All the blood drained from her face. "You want me to go get them?"

"It's all sealed in an envelope, there won't be any issues with you taking them as long as you bring them straight back here," her mom assured her.

But that wasn't the issue. "Mum, I can't go over there."

It took a second, but then recognition drew on her face. "Is this about Emerin again?"

"Of course it is! There's a chance I might run into her."

"It isn't as if Emerin works at the embassy with her dad."

"And it isn't as if I work at a law firm with you, and yet here we stand," Cora argued.

With possibly the worst timing in the world, the receptionist glanced at the clock. "You're late for your meeting."