TWENTY-FOUR - Lonely Beginnings

TWENTY-FOUR

~Lonely Beginnings~

My hands were shaking the whole way to pick up Chris, and they continued to shake as we made our way to the police station. It felt like I was repeating a nightmare. I wished that it was a mistake once again, just like last time.

"Daddy, you said we were going to get ice cream when you picked me up!" Chris cries.

"I know Chris, and I'm sorry... But ice cream will have to wait" Sadness overpowering Blake's voice. "Do you remember Officer Clay, Chris?" Blake glances at Chris through the rear-view mirror. Chris mumbles a yes. "We're going to go see him first, ok?"

"Officer Clay? I like him! Oh, and Officer Kiara, will she be there?" Chris asks, forgetting all about the ice cream.

"I think so" Blake answers, parking the car in front of the police station.

Blake and I quietly sat in the parking lot. The car acting as a safe bubble for what was about to happen.

"Mama! Daddy! Let's go! Officer Clay and Officer Kiara are waiting!" Chris yells, unbuckling his seat belt and opening the door himself. Blake and I jolt from our seats, unbuckling our seatbelts, and getting out of the car to hold his hand, trying to make sure that he stays safe.

Blake locks his car, as the three of us enter the station, both of us holding one of Chris's hands. Once we enter the station, Chris lets go of our hands and runs to Officer Kiara, who seemed to be looking through some files.

"Officer Kiara! I'm here! I missed you!" He hugs her leg. As Chris greets her, I look around to spot anyone that might have a possible chance of being Chris's parents.

As my eyes land on Officer Clay's desk, my hands reach out to Blake's, unintentionally squeezing it. A couple in their late twenties to early thirties sat at his desk. There was a man with dishevelled black hair, with a tan complexion, wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants. He had an ungroomed beard, and the bags under his eyes suggested he hadn't slept for days. The lady wore clothes that seemed much larger than her actual body size. She had brown hair, much like mine, that reached just below her chest, with an upturned pointed nose and a carved-out facial structure. She, too, had the same bags as the man. The rings on their fingers suggested they were married.

One look at the man, and I knew. There was definitely some resemblance to him and Blake, but seeing this man in person, there was something definitely off. He seemed almost unhealthy, much like his wife, who sat there looking almost scared, fiddling with her ring. I feel my squeeze getting tighter as I trace the gaze of the couple. They were looking at Chris. This is it. I feel my eyes sting as tears fill up in them.

Blake and I were frozen in place as Officer Kiara gave us a small smile and led Chris to Officer Clay's desk. I felt my hand squeeze as Blake slowly takes a step towards the others, looking down at the ground.