TEN - Don't Ask Me To Let Go

TEN

Don't Ask Me To Let Go

The car ride was silent. Now and then I would catch Blake look at me then at Chris. And now and then Blake would catch me looking at him and then at Chris.

"They found Chris's parents" The words were still fresh in my mind. I knew that I would have to say goodbye at some point. After the first 2 weeks, I didn't think it would be so soon. I know it's really stupid of me. It's common sense, the more time that passes by, the more chances of Chris's parents showing up.

"Where we going?" Chris asks innocently, still unaware of what was happening.

After Blake got the call, we had told Lottie and Caden and left with Chris. Lottie suggested that she and Caden wait for Blake and me back at my place since no one was home.

"Do you remember officer Clay?" Blake gives him a smile through the rearview mirror.

"Yeah! He was so cool! I wanna be just like him!" Chris claps his hands in excitement.

"Well, we're going to go see him. Say hi" As the words left Blake's mouth, Chris became even more excited.

I wanted to be happy for him, but for some reason, I couldn't. Blake looks over to me as he stops at a red signal light. He unexpectedly grabs my hand, holding onto it and giving it a small squeeze. I look up at him.

"It's gonna be ok" He smiles at me. I nod and just hold onto his hand for the rest of the ride. Letting go of it now and then so he could drive properly, but his hands would come back and hold mine.

We walked into the police station, Blake and I holding each other's hand with Chris walking a few steps ahead of us.

"Officer Clay! I'm here!" He yells through the station making me giggle and Blake chuckle.

I didn't think Officer Clay would hear him, but he did. He came out of his office and took Chris in a hug.

"How are you doing little buddy?" He asks him.

"I'm great! Me mommy daddy auntie Lottie and Uncle Caden. We all went shopping today and it was so much fun!" He tells him excitedly.

"Could that be Chris?" Officer Kiara peeps her head outside of the same office.

"Officer Kiara! I missed you!" Chris hugs her leg, being unable to reach her. Officer Kiara bends down to his level and hugs him back.