Top Nail Questions

Top Nail Questions
Q: Can I prevent peeling, breaking and splitting?
A: Exposure to water is most often the culprit here - surprisingly, the more you soak, the drier the nail becomes, weakening over time. Detergents in soaps, household cleansers, and some nail polish removers can also have adverse effects. Prevent further damage by wearing rubber gloves during chores (see page 70 for winners of a GH Institute glove test). After hand-washing, apply a rich moisturizer to nails to replace the natural oils that water washes away. Using a polish (even clear) or a cuticle oil (like Creative Nail Design SolarOil) will provide a protective shield.
Q: What's the best way to manicure my nails?
A: File in one direction only - sawing back and forth can cause splitting. Nails are strongest when you shape them into an oval, says Dr. Kunin of Kansas City. The pointier you make them, the likelier they are to break.
Q: What do those tiny white marks mean?
A: It's a myth that these flecks indicate a vitamin deficiency. More likely, they're the result of a minor injury and will disappear as the nail grows. But watch out for dark marks. If you recently hurt your hand (say, in a car door), don't worry. But if not, and you see a black, brown, or purple band on your nail, it could be a sign of skin cancer. See a doctor right away.