FIFTEEN

Lilith had fallen into a deep slumber as soon as she'd collapsed on her bed, giggling to herself about how the room was spinning. She had one last memory of Nate shaking his head as he tucked her in, before her eyes had felt like they were being weighted down by a ton of bricks, and she'd lost consciousness. She'd later promise herself that she wouldn't go overboard on the ammount of alcohol she'd consume; however, she'd break that promise sooner than she expected.

When she awoke, in the middle of the night, she wasn't sure whether the wailing she was hearing was a product of her dreams or if something was indeed going on. Furrowing her eyebrows, she lifted her head from her pillow, at the same time as the other iniciates started to mutter amongst themselves and get up from their beds. Sobs still echoed in the room as someone made their way past Lilith's bed, and the confirmation that this wasn't her imagination playing tricks on her made her sit up.

"Someone turn on the lights!" Nate's voice raised above everyone else's.

Only a few seconds passed befored those instructions were followed, and silence fell over them as they glanced around. A shrill scream made Lilith jump and get up to her feet, her eyes soon finding Myra with a terrified look on her face, standing near the end of Edward's bed. Tris had made her way there, the brunette assuming that she'd been the figure she'd seen crossing the dorm in the dark, and she ignored the coldness of the floor under her bare feet as she walked closer to her friend.

She could feel the bile rising up to her mouth as soon as her eyes landed on Edward and on the pool of blood surrounding his head, the glinting of a knife protruding from his eye making her gag. Myra was rooted to the same spot, still crying hysterically, and Lilith couldn't blame her, for she too felt like she couldn't move. The other transfers had started crowding around the boy as he clutched at his face, no one being brave enough to reach down and help him, until Tris wordlessly kneeled by his side.

"Lie still," her voice was gentle, but the boy didn't seem to hear her as he kept trashing on the floor, "I said, lie still. Breathe."

Tris hadn't finished talking before Edward was screaming even louder, "My eye!"

"Someone should get the nurse," one of the other transfers mumbled.

Before anyone else could make a move, Lilith darted towards the door, swallowing back vomit as she left the room. Her body was on autopilot as she sped torwards the Pit, where she'd have to climb the paths until she reached the medical wing. Her mind was going at a million miles per second as she processed what had just happened, her head pounding as the first signs of a hangover manifested themselves. There was only one person who could have done something like this, and she didn't remember seeing him in the dorm, but she'd been fixating on the blood staining the floor around Edward's head. Maybe Peter had been there and she'd just missed him. Maybe he wouldn't go that low. Lilith hoped he wouldn't.