THIRTY FOUR

The confrontation had been enough to put Lilith in a sour mood during the next few hours.

Not knowing where else to go to eat lunch, she'd ended up at the cafeteria inside the Merciless Mart, standing alone in line between a Candor who didn't seem to know what personal space was and a Dauntless that looked at her like she had enough power to cause a storm. While that would have made her proud of herself weeks prior, it now made her feel even angrier. The slam caused by her tray hitting the table had brought quite a few looks in her direction, but she'd glared around the room, prompting everyone to mind their own business.

Of course, Nate, Christina and Reyna hadn't caught on to the message. They'd ignored her glares and furrowed eyebrows and taken seats around her, chatting cheerfully between them as they took bites of their meals. While the girls knew better than to try to figure out what was going on when she was clearly still mulling over it, Nate had jokingly asked her if there was any trouble in paradise. Lilith assumed that the look she gave him right after the question left his mouth had been answer enough, and the blond quickly changed the subject to the meeting Jack Kang had scheduled for that afternoon.

That was where Lilith next saw Eric.

He hadn't even glanced in her direction as he strode into the room with Granger by his side. It brought her some relief that they appeared to have cleared things up between them and that their friendship was rising from the ashes, but it wasn't enough to stop the sneer that took over her features as she watched them look for seats. Only when they were concealed by the crowd did she stop looking, folding her arms over her chest as she leaned back in her chair. She didn't even know why she'd been looking for so long. 

Eric Coulter didn't deserve her time and attention.

She was ready to complain to Nate about how uncomfortable the chairs were when Jack Kang rose his hands, and the crowd of Candors, Dauntless, and some other refugees quieted down. Opposite to side of the room where she sat, she saw her mother and Oswald in the front seats right behind Jack, the bandage on Adelia's arm painfully obvious. The first thing she'd done after the attack had ended had been looking for them, and she'd found them reentering the lobby, Adelia extremely shaken at the act of violence. Lilith hadn't had the heart to tell her that Erudite would do worse, next time. 

Jack lowered his hands, folding them in front of his torso, before he started, "I know many of you are confused and shaken by what happened yesterday. I have heard many reports from a variety of perspectives, and have gotten a sense for what is straightforward and what requires more investigation," he paused, narrow eyes travelling the whole room, "What seems to me to require more investigation is the Divergent. If you are one of the Divergent, please step forward so that we can hear from you."

At first, no one moved. Lilith's eyes shifted to where Four and Tris stood, the only two Divergents that she was aware of. She'd just started thinking that they wouldn't reveal themselves when Four started taking steps towards Jack and the center of the room. Tris followed not too long after, and then individuals from everywhere in the crowd trudged their way to Jack as well. A rustle of fabric echoed to Lilith's left, and her eyes widened as she saw Reyna rise from her seat, a determined frown on her face as she too advanced forward.