By the Angel - Sprace (Part one)

Prompt - None
Au - Shadowhunters
Triggers - Swearing, violence, blood/injury detail

Notes:
-Spot's referred to as Sean and his surname is different just to fit with the Shadowhunters family names etc
-Canon Shadowhunters characters due to the same setting of NYC are mentioned by name but not included. This is a newsies one shot and they're irrelevant (jk Alec ily)
-A lot of this won't make sense unless you've read/watched Shadowhunters so fair warning cause I don't have the energy to explain shit though I'll give a small glossary:

Mundanes - normal people
Stele - a long, pencil like object that activates the Shadowhunters runes
Downworld - the vampires, werewolves, warlocks etc
Shadowhunters/nephilim - part Angel warriors that exist to hunt demons and protect mundanes

Any other words that crop up, you're on your own cause this is purely self indulgent

•••

The walk from the Manhattan institute to Brooklyn was more tedious than draining, but by now Sean was used to it. Hell, even the patrolling was boring but he knew it was necessary and the only thing he really could do, being only just 18. He was barely old enough to attend Clave meetings back in Idris, the shadowhunter home country, let alone go on proper missions yet, and the endless hours of pacing around familiar streets was tiresome after a while.

It's not like anything ever happened; demon activity had been at an all time low these past few months, hell, years even and even the Downworld had been quiet. No reports of rogue vampire nests or werewolf disturbances, not since Lucian Graymark had taken over the New York pack and Raphael Santiago had started to lead the local vampire clan that resided in the Hotel Du Mort. Sean was tempted to check that creepy old place out on the way to Brooklyn but decided against it once more; despite the quiet, the night children weren't partial to Nephilim dropping in without warning or good reason.

That would be just like Sean; to get himself in trouble with one Downworld species or another just because he was bored and wanted a fight. Except maybe the fair folk; even he wasn't stupid enough to meddle with seelies and their affairs, tricky buggers that they are and he doubted he could easily win against a trained seelie knight or two. Not that he wouldn't try it given half the chance; Sean wasn't at a Jace Herondale or Alec Lightwood level of renowned Shadowhunter for his age, but he certainly had a reputation, particularly in Brooklyn. He was handy with a dagger or a seraph blade and liked using them.

It would be nice to have some demons to kill, he reckoned. Nothing major, a ravener demon or two maybe, or one of those ugly arachnid buggers. Just something to do other than endlessly pace the streets. The gazes of the mundanes that were still out despite the late hour slipped past him; he was invisible to their eyes, with his glamour rune activated on his upper arm. He was used to that though, it was necessary to keep himself hidden behind that invisible veil. As Sean walked, he kept his hand resting lightly on the hilt of his seraph blade, more out of habit than anything else. In terms of demonic activity, it was dead silent, his sensor still in his pocket. He could almost hear the chirp of crickets underneath the buzz of mundane voices, going about their lives with no idea of his presence.

His gear was the usual black affair, fitted leather and another armoured fabric that Sean couldn't name, covered with endless buckles and straps. The material was dark to where he was left barely noticeable to anyone even with the Sight, the ability to see past his glamour. Of course, the sharpness of a lot of demons and downworlders vision and other senses didn't give Sean an overarching advantage. Not that he needed one tonight. The air was still and quiet as he turned off the main street and onto a row of terraced-looking houses that appeared out of place among the tall, eyesores that were the newer buildings in Brooklyn.