Just Nod and Agree - Ralbert

Prompt - Crushes
Au - None
Triggers - None
•••

"I'm telling ya, it wouldn't work," Buttons repeated for the fifth time. "There ain't no way,"

"Ok, but thinks about it," Race insisted, his cigar hanging out of his mouth.

"I am, and Ise coming to the same conclusion. Ya couldn't possibly makes it work,"

"Why nots?"

Buttons looked at him, confusion on his face. "You's is sayin' to make a shirt outta papes. That ain't possible,"

Race looked around the lodgings and his eyes landed on Albert, "Al," he called over to him. "Back me up here,"

Albert looked up, the questioning look on his face turning to mild panic as he saw Race looking at him. He quickly schooled his features and sat forward. "About what?"

"I'se proposing to make a sure outta spare papes, but Buttons keeps saying I can't,"

Albert laughed and shook his head. "I means-," he said, "I guess- I guess you could,"

Race grinned triumphantly as Buttons shook his head and mouthed 'No' over his shoulder. "Thanks you! See?" He looked over at Buttons.

Buttons raised an eyebrow. "He only said that because he li-,"

Albert panicked and interrupted him. "It could work," he said loudly, glaring at Buttons. "If ya did it right,"

Race looked confused and Buttons laughed quietly, but Albert ignored him. He'd be dammed if he let one of the others snitch on him, although that outcome was far more likely than him just telling the truth. Half the newsies probably knew the way he felt about Race at this point and were this close to telling him. It's not like he was subtle about it. He tried to be, naturally, but emotions were hard, and complicated and difficult to handle.

For now, Albert could just laugh and joke and talk over the others. Not a great plan, but it was working. For how long, he didn't know.

"Told you," Race said, "Like with buttons and stitches and all's,"

Buttons shook his head again. "It's paper," he said, "it'd fall apart,"

Race stilled for a second, looking adorable with a confused, focused expression. He stared stared straight ahead with a furrowed brow before shaking his head. "Ok so maybes yous right. But I still think I could do it," He looked back over to Albert for support.

Albert blanked and ducked his head, running a hand through his hair. "If yous added layers maybe," he said lamely. He was having a hard time focusing.

The conversation continued, with Race's argument becoming weaker and more wild to the point were Albert couldn't tell if he was serious anymore. Every time Albert feebly backed up Race or agreed with him, Buttons would raise an eyebrow at him. Which he ignored.

Eventually Race flopped down onto his back, his arms over his face. "Ok fine. So it may not be possible, but I still wants to try,"

Albert smiled as Buttons said, "Finally, I gots you," with a laugh.

Albert sat still, looking at Race, lying with his eyes closed, his cigar in one hand, the other hanging over the side of the bed. His hat was askew and his hair adorably ruffled, his shirt slightly pulled up. Albert did his best not to stare, but he failed quite spectacularly.

"Yeah, yeah, don't gloat," Race mumbled, rolling onto his side and punching Buttons on the arm.

"No chance. Ise gonna hold this over you for at least a month," Buttons stood up, pulling off his hat and walking over to where Albert sat. He purposely knocked into him, giving him a look that made Albert glare at him again as a steady blush creeped up his neck.

"Shuddup," he mumbled.