Penny For Your Thoughts - Javey

Prompt - Spring showers
Au - None
Triggers - None

This is a serious case of 'Davey read the prompt and ran with it and didn't realise he reused so many phrases, settings, movements etc from another one shot in this book but is to lazy to do anything about it' so. Yeah.

I just love soft rooftop Javey ok leave me alone I know I'm a repetitive bitch

•••

The wooden stairs under Davey's feet creaked softly, the planks smooth and slightly dipped in the middle from use. The banister was similarly worn, though that didn't stop the usual nag about splinters that hovered in the back of his mind as he ran his hand over the dark, uneven wood. It was dim in the small passage and the outline off the door out onto the roof was silhouetted with small slivers of light that crept through the cracks. Davey rested a hand on the brass handle for a moment before he twisted it and shoved open the stiff door.

There was the slight squealing protest of hinges on their last legs as the door swung shut behind him with a quiet click. It wasn't any lighter outside than it was in the passage; the streetlights were starting to flicker off as dawn crept in and besides, it was too high up for the light to reach the rooftop anyway. Davey looked around, picking out Jack's back silhouetted against those first hints of daylight, still far off yet.

"Jacky?"

Jack didn't seem surprised that he was there. In fact, he didn't even look around when his boyfriend spoke, though his shoulders visibly loosened. "Heya Dave," he said.

Davey walked over to him. Jack was perched on an upturned crate, one of his feet propped under the ledge of the low wall that rimmed the rooftop. He was rolling a pencil between his fingers, though he didn't look to be drawing anything; it wasn't light enough too yet. Davey almost sat on the wall opposite Jack, but the drop turned his stomach. It was only a couple of storeys but he still didn't like it. He opted to sit cross legged next to him on the concrete instead.

"Hey you," He said, glancing at Jack, who was watching the skyline. A very slight smile tugged at the corner of his mouth when Davey spoke.

"What ya doin' here? It's early as hell,"

Davey shrugged, resting his head against Jack's leg. "Wanted to get out of the house," he said. "Figured you'd be out here,"

"Cause I'se jus' so predictable, ain't I?" Jack said, chuckling a little dryly.

"Just a tad,"

Jack shook his head, though he was smiling wider now. He looked at Davey. "Everythin' alright?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Just...crowded," Davey replied. It tended to get stuffy in their little apartment with the five of them. A change of scene and some fresh air was nice.

Jack nodded. "Try stayin' in the lodgin's a night," he said. He sounded exasperated, but in a fond way and he chuckled when Davey mock-grimaced.

"Hard pass," Davey said, shaking his head at the thought. "Les is bad enough, the hyper little bugger,"

Jack smiled, still turning that pencil over in his hands. He dropped his foot back onto the ground, looking over the ledge of the wall at the city below them. It was just starting to wake up, the gears that you would think never stopped starting to grind into motion again. A very slight breeze lifted the hair from his forehead, but it wasn't cold. His expression was unreadable and Davey couldn't tell if he was sad or content or something else entirely.