7 | ғʀɪᴇɴᴅs

•𝐽𝑢𝑛𝑒 16, 2021•

I felt Benny's finger tap my shoulder, making me spin around to face him.

"Hm?" I hummed.

"Um, I just wanted to thank you for helping me out yesterday. I shouldn't have ever gotten you into that mess."

I nodded. "Yeah, you shouldn't have, but you're welcome. You probably would've died if I wasn't there."

He chuckled. "Yeah, probably."

"Alright then." I sighed. "I'll leave you be."

"Wait." He frantically grabbed my hand. "Um, I-I wanted to ask you something else."

"Ask away."

"Could we try to be friends?" He asked. "This whole "enemy" thing is getting kinda boring."

I smirked. "Who said it was boring?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "Me?..."

"I don't believe you. I know that Benny Rodriguez would rather die than be friends with me."

He chuckled lightly. "No, not really. You're not as bad as I thought you were."

"Am I supposed to be offended by that?..."

He quickly shook his head. "No, no, no, I'm just trying to say that you're pretty cool."

"I know I am." I joked.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Yeah, yeah. So, can we start over?"

I laughed. "Sure. I guess we can."

He smiled. "Cool."

I held my hand out. "Friends?"

He smacked his hand into mine. "Friends."

- - - -

I laughed loudly as I lightly punched Benny's arm.

"Ow!" He mocked.

"Oh, get over it," I smirked.

He chuckled lightly and took a sip of water before looking back at me.

"I have a question." He started.

"Hm?" I hummed.

"What do you even see in Phillips? I mean, he's not a very good person." He explained.

I gasped. "Hey! Okay, Phillips is a nice guy when you get to know him. What do you see in Maddie? She's a complete bitch."

He laughed while shaking his head. "I don't know. I lost feelings for her a long time ago."

My eyebrow raised in confusion. "Then why are you dating her?"

He swallowed nervously. "I don't know..."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Benny, you can talk to me. What's wrong?"

He ran a hand through his sweaty hair. "Um...well, she's very manipulative and..."

I waited for an answer, but he couldn't seem to spit it out.

"And what?"

His lower lip quivered as he spun his finger around the opening of his water bottle. "And abusive, I guess. When I tell her no, she hurts me or forces me to do things I don't wanna do..."