16 | ᴍᴏᴍ

•june 27, 2021•

I walked through the front door and was pained to see Luke and my dad sitting on the couch, chatting.

Shit, this is gonna be hard to get out of.

"Hey, Em..." my dad trailed off once he examined me. "Woah, what happened to you?"

Shoot. Should I play dumb? No, he'll see right through me.

Should I make up an excuse? God, what am I supposed to say?

"Emmy?" my dad's voice snapped me back into reality. "Em, what happened?"

He was now standing over me, Luke close behind him. His eyes were locked onto mine.

"Um, I-I...uh..." I stuttered. I shut my mouth.

"What happened?" his voice was stern now.

I sighed. I knew it was better to just tell him the truth instead of lying.

"I...got into a fight..." I mumbled.

"I'm sorry?"

"I got into a fight," I said a bit louder this time.

He stared at me in shock. "What? My daughter got into a fight?"

I nodded in shame. "Yes..."

"Emmy." he sighed. "Why did you do that?"

I could see his face getting tense with anger. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"Um, this girl was talking-"

"Which girl?" he interrupted.

"Benny's ex, Maddie," I murmured.

He let out a sigh. "Okay, continue."

"Well, she came onto the sandlot without notice and just called me a boyfriend-stealing whore..."

"Alright..." he nodded slowly. "So you fought her over that?"

I quickly shook my head. "No, no. After that, she just broke down and was rambling on about how I stole Benny from her. It didn't make a whole lot of sense."

He just listened quietly and I could see him getting more eager for the reason why I actually fought her.

"Then..." I whimpered as I felt tears well in my eyes. "Then she started talking about Mom. She said that she deserved to die and that whoever hit her made God's job easier."

I saw both my dad's and Luke's faces swell with sadness. My dad sighed. "Okay, then what happened?"

I decided not to tell them about everything with Benny. I didn't want them to hate him.

"Then...I punched her." my head hung in shame. "I don't know how long I was fighting her, but it was enough for her to be bleeding everywhere."

He leaned on the counter. "Alright, then how did you get your ass beat?"

"When I snapped back into reality, she was then punching me."