Chapter Three

Chapter Three

TWO YEARS LATER

"Ari.....Ariah Sky Velox.....you need to get up...."

I groaned. "Nooooo."

"But it's the first day of summer! We gotta have fun!!"

I forced my eyes open and looked at Evelyn's smiling face. "You know what's fun? Sleeping. Sleeping is fun." I let my heavy eyelids close again.

"No it's not!" she protested. "You know what's way more fun than sleeping? Swimming!! And guess who's a lifeguard at the pool? Josh! You'll finally get to meet him."

"I'm gonna say something stupid,"I protest.

"He won't care." I doubted that but Evi grabbed my arm and pulled me into a sitting position. The lights in my room assaulted my eyes.

"Why must you do this?" I ask. "Why?" But she knew that once I was up I'd comply. I was impatient and didn't like to sit around doing nothing. I knew it was a characteristic that stemmed from my ability.

It had been two years, and I had ultimately been able to keep my secret. There had been more than one time when my mom had gotten suspicious about me going to the forest, and a couple times when she almost found out because of my rushes. That's what I call them, because it feels like a sugar rush. I get them at random times, usually about twice a month, and just have this urge to run. I can hardly control them sometimes.

It's really annoying when I get them during school, I have to quickly get a hall pass and go out to the hallway, crossing my fingers that no one will see. Then I go to the bathroom, have my breakdown, and go back to class. Everyone thinks I'm weird and wonders why. I don't care anymore. I used to get depressed and upset whenever I was bullied. But I found out that going to the forest and running was like therapy. I feel the rush, revel in my speed, it's like freedom. Then I let it all out with my breakdown and feel a million times better afterwards.

I got up and trudged to the bathroom. While I was putting my contacts in and doing other morning things, I considered going to the pool. I didn't really feel like showing my face in public today, plus it was bound to be busy.

But I was a little curious to what Josh looked like. I wondered if he was cute.

"I just don't know if I want to go, though," I told Evelyn, coming back into the room.

"Aw, please? It'll be fun! We don't have to do a ton of swimming."

"I know, but-"

"I'll be your best friend!" She interrupted me.

"Aren't you already?" I asked in mock shock.

She rolls her eyes. "You know what I mean!!"

"Okay, if you want me to THAT much, I guess I'll go."

"Yay! Now hurry up and get dressed."

I put on my favorite swimsuit and pulled jean shorts and a loose shirt on over it.

After gathering up my stuff, I got breakfast and told my mom where I was going.

"Let's take the golf cart!!" Evelyn said, pulling a loose high-low top over her green bikini.

"Good idea." My mom used to work at a golf course so she decided to buy her own golf cart. Nowadays me and Evi are the only ones who use it for fooling around. It's road registered and everything, so we can take it to the pool.

We're both fifteen, so we have our permits but we have to have an adult in the car. That's why we were chugging down the road at ten miles per hour in a green and white golf cart. Luckily the pool was within walking distance. We just preferred not to look like losers. Mission, accomplished? Not really, but I didn't care. I was having fun.