Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Now that I knew more about Chaste, I became better friends with him. I also became better friends with Tara and Camille, but separately. I started hanging out with them outside of school. It was different depending I who I hung out with: Tara was more of a casual friend since we saw each other a lot. She showed me some of her favorite music. It surprised me how much good music she had known about that I hadn't. Chaste liked to do sporty things and check out boys with me. (I actually couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it before.) I did things with Camille less because she was always with her other friends, but she always had me trying new and crazy things. She also loved to prank people with her ability. Once I was with her and I found out that if I had enough space, I could gather up enough speed to jump long distances.

"The track team doesn't know what they're missing," Camille laughed.

But I still loved hanging out with Evelyn, and a huge bonus was that Josh was often there too. Sometimes we'd make eye contact and I wouldn't be sure if I was looking at him, or if he was looking at me.

I had never hung out with him specifically, someone else was always there. But I still had become friends with him, too, and we even texted sometimes. With all my new friends and a new exciting school, I was happily busy.

Almost two months had gone by fast.

Now we were planning the school's Halloween party. Evelyn, the principal's daughter, was in charge of planning, so naturally the theme was animals. I was going as a cheetah. It was her idea, and if I hadn't liked it, she would've forced me into it anyway. It really was a cute outfit, it was yellow skinny jeans with a yellow shirt, both painted with cheetah pattern. I also had ears on a headband and whiskers painted on my face. Evelyn had a bluebird outfit, and Chaste was a giraffe. Josh, however, went as a panther. He wore all black, which strangely went perfectly with his tan skin and dark blonde hair. With only a little but of persisting from Evi, he wore black ears like mine.

Right now, the four of us were decorating the cafeteria for the party which would be later tonight. Most of the other kids were in their dorms getting ready.

"Hey, we match," I said to him, handing him a roll of fake cobwebs to hang up (but I was talking about the ears.)

"Aha! I knew it! You planned it!" he accused.

"Nuh uh! Ninety percent of this was Evelyn's doing!"

"That's true. So we gang up on her?"

"Maybe later. Is there anything else I can do to help?"

"Take that bin to the storage room, it's the stuff we don't need."

I nodded, grabbed the bin and headed out into the hall.

It was weird walking around the school with the halls empty. I only got to see it like this once, during my tour at the beginning of the year. Since then I never stuck around after school, so I always saw it busy and full of people. The white walls and floors were still clean and new, but when I was all alone they made for a menacing atmosphere.

It was a little better down on the less fancy bottom floor, but I was still thankful when I quickly found the storage room. I put the bin under a table to be dealt with late when I noticed something.

It was a white light, the whitest light I'd only seen one other place, coming from under the same door I was seeing it come from now.

It was my curiousness that made me open the door despite my longing to get back up to the cafeteria with everyone else. So I opened the door and found nothing, or at least I thought, until I found the source of the light. It was a necklace on the ground, tucked in a corner of the small closet and halfway behind a shelf. I picked it up and the light shone from my hand, giving me a good view of the necklace. It wa a circular pendant divided into four sections. Each section was a different color and had an S carved into it. That made for four S's, one green, one yellow, one red, and one blue. When I brushed the dust off the pendant, the yellow S glowed a little bit brighter and the light became a little bit more yellow.