Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

Sealing the Deal 

I didn't sleep at all that night, I kept having a terrible nightmare. I was standing there talking with a group of people (haha, brain. What are you trying to do, remind me I have no social life?) and I was just listening, the someone turned to face me. Their face was a monster face with sharp teeth and slits for eyes. I backed away and then all the other people looked at me. They were monsters too. Every time I blinked their faces changed from normal people to monsters. I wasn't sure whether to trust them or run away.  

The whole day at school I was practically falling asleep. At the end of fifth hour, Megan had to shake me awake so I didn't miss lunch. The poor girl had to put up the whole day with my lack of conversation. I'm so lucky to have her.  

I didn't see her until eighth hour, the last of the day. Today I enjoyed sitting at the back of the room, in my own little world, because I have no one to talk to. I used to be embarrassed about being alone, but I've come to realize that no one cares.  

Of course, lately I haven't had much time for daydreaming. We've been getting more and more work in every class, induced by the upcoming state tests. And I thought middle school state testing was hard. And besides all that, I haven't seen or texted Chaste for weeks. It's like he disappeared.  

I spent all my free time in my classes catching up on work from other classes, and I still had homework. 

I got to eighth hour, drama, with the majority of my work from today done. Drama was a nice break from the workload, and it was the only class I enjoyed. Well, I guess English was okay too. Anyway, it would be perfect if Maddie Sanders wasn't in it. Her dyed blonde was currently straight and shellac'ed in place as she read her excerpt onstage. I don't know why that girl is in drama, it seems like she couldn't care less about acting. She reads everything in practically a monotone. Conveniently, though, she becomes the world's best liar when she causes trouble.  

"All right, thank you, Mrs. Sanders," our drama teacher Mr. Beck said. He didn't try too hard to contain his non-excitement over Maddie's less than stellar performance. (Those paragraphs were kinda confusing. Sorry ^_^ ) 

Maddie rolled her eyes and sat down to continue gossiping with her groupies. Megan and I chatted a little until the bell rang. We greeted each other goodbye and I took the bus home.  

Sounds of bustling around greeted me, coming from the kitchen. "Hi, Ari!" my mom called.  

"Hey, Mom. You're home early." 

"Yes, I was didn't have to work my shift today but I'm working double all next week."  

"Oh. Why?" 

She sighed. "Because of the workload. There are more cases coming in and everyone is extremely busy. I don't like it." 

"That sucks."  

She nodded, glancing into the kitchen. "Oh, I meant to tell you, I talked to Mr. Pulcher and he was very nice. I'm still considering it, though. Are you sure you can handle a change like that?"  

"Yes, I'm sure." The thought of going to the academy left a warm, excited feeling in my stomach.  

"Well, okay. And remember, if we do decide to do this, I'm trusting you to act appropriately and do whatever you need to." 

"I know, Mom. Thanks."  

I glided upstairs and sat on my bed, daydreaming about the academy. Yes, I had science to do, but that was all the way downstairs in my backpack, which I conveniently forgot to get on my trip up.