Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The School & Evi's Dad

"Summer, how are you so far away, yet so close...at the same time?" I recited dreamily, talking with a Shakespeare-esque air. Then I switched to normal voice as thoughts of facing the nasty cafeteria along with the danger of a rush at school tomorrow. Oh, and I couldn't forget Maddie and co. They were a bundle of joy.

Evelyn snapped me out if my thoughts (If you haven't noticed, I daze out often) "You look kinda fisheyed like that."

"What? Oh. Well. Don't I feel special."

"Hey, it's not an insult if it's the truth. No, I'm kidding. It's not an insult because I'm your best friend."

I rolled my eyes. "Suuure. Think whatever you want. Do I need to take you home?"

"Yeah. You could hang out at my house for a while."

Evelyn was the only person who'd want to hang out with me right after hanging out with me.

"Sadly I can't. I'm getting my braces off."

"Aw man."

"No, not aw man. It's "oh yes!" Braces off!"

"Right. Yay. Sorry, I'm tired."

"It's fine. And besides, after that were taking my laptop into Best Buy. It has a virus. No wonder, it's so old."

"Really? You know, my dad could fix it. He's great with computers and technology. That kind of stuff."

"And at the same time, he's a super brain scientist? Wow."

She laughed. "You can bring it with you and drop it off at my house."

"Okay, great, I'll tell my mom. Now go get dressed."

She nodded and once she was packed up, I got my laptop and we set out on the golf cart. 

Five minutes later, I parked it in her driveway and followed her inside, clutching my computer in my fingers. I was hardly able to fend Chevy off me, but Evelyn said something to him. At least I think. She opened her mouth and moved it like she was talking, but no sound came out. It was like watching a movie on mute.

I'm assuming Chevy heard what she said, and his ears wilted a little as he backed off of me and set his front paws back on the ground. I petted his head but he shambled off dejectedly. 

"That was cool. But it looked weird."  

"What did it look like to you?"

"Like you were talking but there was no sound."

She scratched Chevy's ears as she explained, "Yeah, thats what it looks like to most people. It's because when I talk to dogs, it's formatted for dogs to hear. Humans' brains aren't capable of understanding. Rarely you might understand some of what a dog is trying to tell you, but only if he's smart enough to try and communicate in the first place."

Evelyn's dad walked in. When he saw me, he gave me a warm smile. "Ari! Good to see you!"

"Thanks, you too." I smiled back.

"Ari's dropping off her laptop here because it has a virus," Evelyn said.

"Ah, I see. I'll fix it for you then," he said. "Doctor the virus out. Viruses are just like colds, you know. You suffer for a short time, but once it's gone you're fine."

"Thank you, Mr. Pulcher." I handed my laptop to him, letting his analogy sink in. He quickly booted up the ancient machine. Evelyn went to her room. I stood there awkwardly, wanting to make sure he knew what was wrong with it.