Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen
Dudes in Black

Chaste summed up our collective thoughts with, "Wait, what?"

"Yeah, um, it's actually not intuition. I don't think that's even a real ability."

"Why did you say it was intuition then?" I ask.

"Let's sort that out later. Just tell us what it is now!" Chaste pleads.

"Fine, fine. I can simulate other people's abilities," she says.

I like to think I summed up our collective thoughts when I said, "Wait, what?"

"It means that I can use other people's abilities for myself," Tara explains. "As well as they can themselves. Only one at a time, though."

"Of course, wouldn't want to go overboard," Sadie mutters.

"But wait, you don't understand what this means. Sadie, I can use your ability to come with you and we can get them out."

"But can I still use it at the same time?" she asked.

"Yeah, you can."

"So what are you waiting for?" Chaste asked.

"Well, we obviously can't parade out of the cell and demand to see a key," Tara said. "We need a plan."

"What, something like, 'find the key, find all the kidnapped students, free them, take down Jared, and save the day'?" I ventured.

"Yeah, but maybe less broad," Tara said.

Sadie spoke up. "I have an idea."

***

Sadie and Tara now stood outside the cell. The plan was for Tara to sneak around and find a way ro get us out. Sadie would stay with her until she had a lead on the rest of the kidnapped students and then try to free them. They would make a break for it back to the school. We had all wanted to stay behind, but eventually Sadie agreed she should go with the students and help them get away.

The three of us would then find Carlos, if he hadn't already been found, band together, and all attack Jared. Hopefully with us combined, we could overwhelm him. If not, we would flee.

"Remember, we have one thing Jared's men don't," Tara said.

"The element of surprise?" Chaste volunteered.

"Okay, two things. That, and our abilities."

I knew I was a huge asset in the fighting portion of the plan, and that made me terrified. I'd never really practiced fighting with my ability. Scratch that, I'd never really practiced fighting at all. I wasn't a fighter, I was a runner. A flighter.

Thank goodness for the angel that is Chaste, because he let me practice fighting on him. I would dodge his blows and try to trap him so he couldn't move. He showed me some techniques (who knew he knew anything about fighting!) which, with my speed, made disarming him incredibly easy. It helped, but didn't completely alleviate my worry. I had a sinking suspicion that fighting Jared would be much harder.

Suddenly, for the second time in less than six hours, alarms began to blare. These were even worse than the ones at the school, and flashing white lights that lined the halls completed the chorus. At nearly the same time, the door to our cell swung open. The doors to Laurie's and Maddie's cells opened too.

Chaste didn't think twice and jumped through it. I quickly followed. "What's happening?!"

"I don't know! I'm gonna go invisible just in case but I won't get too far from you."