Preparations

It's been a couple of days since you've joined Charlie's project.

Both days are spent cleaning up the building, organizing and moving furniture, dusting, removing clutter, among other things.  As per an agreement you made with Vaggie, you make sure to do most of the work manually while the demons are watching, though you do at one point use your angelic power to drive the population of pests out of the building when no one is looking.

All in all, the hotel is looking much better, though you still have some concerns.

It's the decor.

You have no problem with Charlie's family portraits, of course, but the rest of the decor is... well, Hellish.

The wallpaper is dark red with a fruit-themed pattern—no doubt a vestige from when Lucifer was using the building, and all the picture frames and furniture have eyes that exude evil intent. Many of the purely decorative pieces seem to have an aura of malice, and you wonder how many of them are actually artifacts of a less than savory nature.

No, if this hotel is to encourage positive change in its patrons, then the decor needs to reflect that.

So it's on this day, as your team continues to clean up the building, that you take your concerns to Charlie.

"Hey, Charlie?" you catch her attention once she's finished directing the relocation of some furniture.

"Yeah?" she responds.

You take a moment to think your words over.  "I... I'm not sure if it has any... er, cultural significance, but, well, I have some concerns.  Regarding the interior decor."  You're trying your best to be sensitive about how you address this, since you don't know if Charlie has any particular attachment to any of it.

"Oh?  What is it?" Charlie asks.

"Well," you begin, not sure what to address first.  You decide to begin with a question of your own, "uh, first, is there a reason most of the furnishings have eyes?"  A thought comes to you, "Oh, goodness, are they alive?"

"Sort of...?" Charlie tries to explain, "I mean, the eyes are real, yes.  They don't really have any connection to any brain, though?  Like, they can see, but they can't process what they're seeing."

"Huh..." you say, holding your chin in thought, "that's... interesting?"

Charlie looks somewhat uncomfortable.  "Yeah... they're, uh, what gets left behind whenever a demon dies permanently."

Oh.  

"I see," you say.  //I suppose that means nothing can really be done about them?//  You decide to move on to a less uncomfortable subject.  "Okay, well, the wallpaper.  It's very... red.  It's not a good color for a place that's meant to feel safe and inspire change," you say.

"Oh, really?" Charlie responds, surprised.

It's now that Vaggie notices the two of you in conversation and joins in. 

"What's going on over here?" she asks.

Charlie gestures to you, "They have a few concerns about how the hotel is decorated," she explains.

Vaggie looks to you for an explanation.

"Red is a stressor color," you tell them, "Red, especially dark red, like this wallpaper, naturally increases heart rate when viewed.  Scientifically, it's a bad color for someone prone to violence to be surrounded by."

"Oh!" Charlie exclaims, surprised.  "I didn't realize color could influence behavior!"

Vaggie looks thoughtful, "I guess that makes sense, 'seeing red,' and all that.  So what color do you recommend?  White?"