Dancing Death

A/N: This was going to the second half of the last chapter, but since it took so long to write, I divided it into two chapters so you guys would have something to read sooner. 

——

The hotel is nowhere near ready to be opened.

This is something you realize the moment you set foot inside the building, following after Charlie.  It's dark, and the place is a mess.  Furniture and portraits are strewn about everywhere, and the place is littered with dust and cobwebs.  Even so, it appears Charlie had been planning on opening fairly soon, if the haphazard 'welcome' banner and party decorations hanging above the front desk are any indication.

The décor and overall atmosphere of the Happy Hotel is a bit Hellish for an establishment with the goal of getting souls to heaven.  Eyes, bones, and skulls are carved into just about every piece of furniture and picture frame you see, and you feel unsettled by them.  Particularly the eyes.  

While Angel rummages through a hazardously tilted freezer that you aren't certain is plugged in, you stop to look at a portrait hanging on one of the walls.  

It depicts a small gathering of seven demons.  You almost immediately recognize Charlie, smiling happily in a dress with a red skirt.  There are two taller blonde demons in the picture, one on either side of her, and you note that they must be her parents.  With some surprise you realize that that means that the goofy clownish demon in a white suit to the far left of the portrait is Lucifer.  

//He looks so silly!// you think, in disbelief.  You tilt your head.  This rosy-cheeked demon in a top-hat is the ruler of Hell?  Charlie looks just like him!  //Appearances really are deceiving...//

Charlie's mother, on the other hand, looks regal and mysterious.  With grey-violet skin and sliver eyes under heavy lashes, she stands taller than all of the other demons in the picture.  Her blonde hair is long and flowing, and she wears a tight-fitting red dress.  

Your eyes stop over the right half of the portrait.  There's a group of four grey-skinned demons with creepy, glowing green eyes (and teeth?!) and weird tentacle-hair.  All four wear wide, sinister grins.

You're just wracking your brain for who these demons could possibly be when your arm is grabbed from behind and you're spun around to face a deadly serious-looking Vaggie.

"We need to talk."

The moth demon pulls you away from the portrait and drags you into a hall off of the lobby.  Charlie pops in a second later.

"You," Vaggie points an accusatory finger in your face, "explain."

You raise your hands in a pacifying gesture.  "Right, okay;"

"So basically," you begin, turning your head to face Charlie, "um, God noticed what you're trying to do here... and he approves?" you give the two demonesses a double thumbs-up and an awkward smile.

"What?" Vaggie narrows her eye skeptically.

"Huh?" Charlie chimes hopefully, stars in her eyes, "really?"

You nod, "Yeah, and he figured you could use some help, so he sent me."  You look from one girl to the other, "To help."

Vaggie still looks unconvinced.  "Charlie," she says, turning to address the princess, "we can't just let them stay just because they say they're here to help; the only angels that have ever been in Hell are fallen angels and exterminators.  They're dangerous."

"I know that," Charlie replies, "but look at them, Vaggie!  They're clearly still in God's good graces if they still have their halo, and this year's extermination is over.  Why would they leave only one exterminator in Hell, disguised as a demon, if they were planning to extend it?  That wouldn't make sense!"